Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All -

I'm Jake and I just picked up a 1983 CM450E in Vancouver, British Columbia and will soon be beginning my first build. The bike has about 100,000 km on it but runs great and is super clean. This will be my first experience wrenching a bike as I've owned several newer bikes in the past and have done regular maintenance but never any major modifications. I welcome any feedback or advice and appreciate your help!

THE PROJECT:

I would like to convert this classic CM to a brat tracker / scrambler. Some of the modifications on my wish list include the following:

- Black wheels, frame, forks, engine (partial), rear shocks. (Powder coat combined with Painting)
- Knobby Tires
- Painted Tank (undecided color)
- Chopped frame / fabricated seat loop with ducktail
- Custom dark brown leather seat
- Tucked battery / electrical (fabricate a battery tray and will use a gel battery)
- Smaller headlight
- Wrapped pipes to black cones
- Renthal type moto bars (black)

I will include a couple of pictures as inspiration bikes. As far as workspace, I will build this bike in my shed over the winter and my space is pretty tight. With that said, I have a buddy who has access to a machine shop and a commercial 3-D printer so fabricating is a possibility.

That's it for now, suggestions welcomed!

THE DONOR -

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

INSPIRATION BIKES -

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome Jake! Looks like you have a fun project ahead of you. Hope to see some progress soon!

Reactions: agjake01

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Update: Strip Down

Technology Vehicle Auto part Engine Machine
Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Machine Machine tool

Started the strip down yesterday, got the engine out and just need to pull the front wheel and forks now.

Going to clean up and paint the engine, clean up and touch up the frame after I fashion the seat hoop (almost mint paint/condition already).

Still trying to decide where to cut the seat frame and how to pinch or weld the cut after the seat hoop is on. Wish the frame was just tubed all the way rather than the triangle at the shock mounts. Thinking a cut just behind the shock mounts. Any suggestions?

I pulled the OEM shocks and want to put longer shocks in to give the bike a taller stance, anyone know what the max shock length is for the CM450e? 340-350mm?

Also, what is the max tire height I can put on the stock 16" rim? I know width is 120 with 130 pushing it. Going for a tall stance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Vehicle
Auto part
Auto part Motor vehicle Engine Automotive engine part Technology
Engine Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle

Bike is at the shop getting the tail reworked and welded. Wheels and forks are at the powdercoater. Tank is off to the painter as soon as I decide on a color. Shop is also helping with the battery/air box delete.

Prepped and primed the engine today, VHT black and clear coat to follow. New rubber carb couplers, starter cap, and alloy bolt kit on the way. Pipe wrap and reverse cones are in the shed and will be the next project after the engine is done.

Engine will be off to the shop for valve/carb adjustment and pods after I get it back in the bike. More pics to come but here's the primed engine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey. I'm thinking of repainting my engine and forks, and would be interested in knowing what kind of primer and paint you're using?
Looks like the project is going well for you so far.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
For the engine use "engine" labelled paint, it's a slightly different paint that will hold up to the heat better.
For the forks I used brake caliper paint to withstand the rocks and debris on the road.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s been a looooong while since I’ve posted but I’m still making slow progress (with the shop). Seat hoop is welded, some smoothing and grinding still and then a fiberglass seat pan and custom seat before moving on to the lights, speedo, etc.

Moto bars are on and the wheels are powder coated with new rubber. Going to extend the 320mm shocks to 340mm for increased right height. See pics.
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Vehicle Rim

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Auto part

Auto part Pipe Metal

More to come!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Couple of pics as it’s coming together.

Updates:

Airbox delete, new underseat battery tray, new rear end, 365mm shocks, ingnition relocated to side, new speedo and headlight, underseat tube mounted flashers, new pipes, wrapped headers

Working on: Bar end signals, wrapped grips, new paint job, custom seat pan/upholster, led brake light, pod filters, drop mirrors, chopped front fender, tune up and a few other things

Standby for more. Let me know what you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Almost done... a few teasers. Still need to wrap the grips, waiting on the seat from the leather shop, fork boots, pods and a tune.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts