Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im still kinda new here, I asked questions along the way of my project but forgot to post pictures of the turn out. Figured I would come back and post some and also say thanks to everyone that gave me any input on my project. Here is before.
864.jpg 863.jpg 000_0036.jpg 000_0040.jpg 000_0041.jpg 000_0045.jpg 000_0046.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What thread should I post in if I have a question about my 450?? Maybe right here? Idk how the forum works or if the right people will see this. But basically I was having a tuning problem towards the end of last season, which I was pretty sure the problem was inpropper jetting. So I put this in storage (at a buddies house) just to find out he tried helping and drilled out BOTH jets in my carbs to 1/16th. Said he fired it up and it started dumping white smoke out the assend, he turned it off, and then it wouldnt start again. Thats what I just found out yesterday. I cleaned the carb out again, went and got (what I was told would be a good place to start with my pipes and pods) new jets, put her back together. And now it wont even start. Nothing. Im super upset and dont really understand what could be going on now? Do you guys have ANY input? Besides causing physical abuse to said "buddy" lol.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Issues with your bike are best addressed in the SOHC Twins section of the forum. There's a subsection for each of the various systems.

Your friend may be a great wingman for chasing girls but you really need to keep him away from your bike!

Start out by identifying the stock configuration for your bike:

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/63...1654-carb-information-years-jetting-more.html

Since the 83 had a single main jet carb, I assume he drilled out the slow jet and the main jet. Since the stock configuration had a 38 slow jet and a 120 main jet, and you have pod filters, you might try a 38 slow jet and a 125 main jet. Assuming that gets it running you can then identify any further changes needed following this:

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/63...4-cb400-cv-carbs-pods-how-make-them-work.html

If your bike was running well earlier and it's performance deteriorated it wasn't because you had the wrong jets. If that is the case, identify what the jets were and get identical replacements. Then we can go through the process of identifying and fixing whatever the problem was.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hahaha... Yeah unfortunately hes not good for that either! So I appreciate the help! The bike was running good last year! Accept when I hit higher RPMS or when I was giving it heavy throttle, it would kinda just "over rev" like it was slipping. I thought that might have been my clutch, so I rebuilt my clutch last year and it still did the same thing. So I did research and read more about what jets are supposed to do and how they work, so there was another suggestion to get bigger jets. Thats where I stopped last year. Then the friend thought he was helping and put me in this situation.. Ive spent wayyyyy to many hours slaving on this thing just to have it be screwed up by some dingus..

I just went and checked. So you are correct on the sizes. Heres the thing. I had to order a new carb before when I was in the building process, I was told it was the same carb and you wouldnt be able to tell the difference just by looking at them. One of the things I found that was difference is the holes are flipped on the side of one of the 120 jets. Like the one set (on the side of the jet) had 1 hole up top and 2 holes close together on bottom. The other is 2 close ones on top and 1 on bottom.

So like I said I have the original carb it came with still and kept it for parts. So I tried putting the good 38 and 120 back in but it still dosnt want to fire up. She cranks but theres nothing. The new jet sizes I was advised to get are 45 and 127 (maybe its 127.5). With this she still dosnt want to do anything... So I am at a complete loss for where to turn to next.

Also in that picture that is attached, you can see the new (38 jet which is now a 45) one is it little longer. Would this have an effect? IMG_1584.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts