Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again,

First off thanks again for the help with my previous post when I was having trouble with this bike racing straight to the redline when started... I replaced the cables and throttle grip and that problem is solved... on to the next one.

Now I've got an issue where the bike will start up and idle more or less fine (needs to be tuned but we'll get there...) but when I give it the slightest bit of throttle it stalls immediately. If I start the bike while holding the throttle open a bit it will start up and run until I release the throttle and it runs back down to idle. Sounds like a dirty pilot jet so today I pulled the carbs and cleaned everything out. There was a little bit of sediment in the bowls but nothing too bad. After reassembly however it is still doing the same thing so I'm going to break them down again and do a full chem-dip cleaning this weekend.

So my first question is whether I'm missing anything here or if the chem-dip ought to be enough to clear our whatever is clogging the pilot, assuming that is the cause of the problem.
If it isn't, is there anything else I can check that might be the cause of the stalls when I apply throttle? I've read that this can happen if the bike is running very lean, however I'm assuming that it wouldn't start or run with the throttle open if that was the case.

Related to that first question, I'm also wondering if anyone can suggest how I should setup the jets on this bike? It has an after market 2-into-1 exhaust as well as individual pod type air filters on each of the two carbs. From what I've seen so far the previous owner(s) have been pretty dodgy repairs and such over the years so I want to make sure I have the jets set correctly to match the custom parts while I've got everything apart. I looked through the main jetting thread and found the stock jet sizes but wasn't able to see anything regarding how to rejet for different exhaust and air filter setups. I live at sea level in a large city on the east coast and plan to use this bike for my short commute, errands around own, and short joy rides more or less year round so I'd like to jet and tune it to be as reliable as possible and am not really worried about increasing performance.

Is there a jetting guide or calculator that I can use to figure out the best setup for my scenario?

Thanks again for the help, can't wait to get this bike out on the road again!

-Joe

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you check out the cut-off valves? Read about them here: Air Cutoff Valve Overhaul | Randakk's Blog
Is that the same thing that I've seen listed as the "accelerator pump" in a couple of places?
When I disassembled the carbs and opened these I found them to be the dirtiest bit of the whole thing but I was able to clean them up very well. Reading your link and another I googled it looks like they are pretty critical to proper operation of the pilot circuit...
I'm going to order a rebuild kit and will install that when I dip the carbs.

....actually, nevermind. I just pulled up the shop manual and see that the accelerator pump is on the bottom of the carb bowl and the air cut-off valve is on the side. Looks like I missed the cut-off valve. I'll order a rebuild kit for that as well.

Any thoughts on what size jets I should have in there to compensate for the 2-into-1 and the pod filters?
Thanks for the tip!

-Joe

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts