Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have an '83 CM250 with weak spark and need a new ignition coil. The current coil secondary resistance is measuring 13.7 K Ohms and the primary is measuring 2.5 ohms. I have a manual for the bike which says the secondary should be 3.7 K ohms to 4.5 K ohms and the primary should be 1.7 ohms to 1.9 ohms. Does anyone know if this sounds correct. This manual cover a few other bikes so the info is a bit scattered. I can't seem to find a coil with these specs anywhere. Does anyone know what the secondary voltage for this coil should be? 30K? Maybe I can find something based on that.

I bought this coil (link below) which says its is for this bike but it does not work, in fact no spark at all. measures the secondary resistance and it is at 17 K Ohms which is even higher than the coil on the bike with weak spark. Anyone find a coil for this bike that did work for them. Any help and info on this you can provide would be very helpful. My battery is brand new from Honda for this bike. Please help, been restoring this bike as it was in rough shape when I rescued her from an old barn, just rebuilt the motor and carb but now ignition problems and the poor thing runs for a bit then quits once the spark plugs get hot and gets a bit dirty from new.

The new coil I bough but didn't work:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hi-Performa...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Spec for the 250C coil per the Honda FSM is:
Primary .5-.6 ohms
Secondary 7-9K ohms
Sounds like you need the correct manual, PM sent

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spec for the 250C coil per the Honda FSM is:
Primary .5-.6 ohms
Secondary 7-9K ohms
Sounds like you need the correct manual, PM sent
Thanks so much for that, really appreciate it. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get these specs from? Can anyone buy this manual?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts