Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this site so I don't know if this has been posted before but here goes.

I'm taking out my Carb this weekend but I'm not sure if I need to take off the gas tank first. Most things I've seen have the tank off already but I don't know if that is part of more general work on the bike.

Second, I'd like to talk about cool stuff I can do while the carb is off and open. I'm new to tinkering but learning how to work on this stuff is half the reason I bought the bike.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Welcome to the group. We like for folks to start off with a post in the member introductions section to let us know a bit about yourself and your bike(s). It will help to get appropriate answers to your questions if you include your location in your profile and create a signature with the model of your bike(s). And we really like pictures!:p

I can't say that you couldn't get the carbs out without removing the tank but, considering how simple the tank removal process is, I don't know why one would try it. You'll benefit greatly by browsing the SOHC fuel supply and carburetion section to get some ideas of what you're getting into. You don't say why you're removing the carbs but if you intend to do any cleaning, rebuilding, or repairing of them this thread is a must read:

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/63-fuel-supply-carburation/24191-rebuilding-vbulletin-carbs.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the group. We like for folks to start off with a post in the member introductions section to let us know a bit about yourself and your bike(s). It will help to get appropriate answers to your questions if you include your location in your profile and create a signature with the model of your bike(s). And we really like pictures!:p

I can't say that you couldn't get the carbs out without removing the tank but, considering how simple the tank removal process is, I don't know why one would try it. You'll benefit greatly by browsing the SOHC fuel supply and carburetion section to get some ideas of what you're getting into. You don't say why you're removing the carbs but if you intend to do any cleaning, rebuilding, or repairing of them this thread is a must read:

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/63-fuel-supply-carburation/24191-rebuilding-vbulletin-carbs.html
Thank you, I'll do that

·
Registered
9 Posts
You will need to remove the tank to free up the throttle and choke cables to come out with the carbs. The whole mess comes out the left side, then you can easily remove the cables from the carbs. You should also remove the upper rear motor mounts (triangular pieces) and pull the breather hose off the valve cover.

Loosen the rear boot clamps, unbolt the front boots from the cylinder head, and rotate the carbs down and forward to remove.
Good Luck,
Gary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts