Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I am new to the Honda Family and am absolutely loving the 450 i just bought. This is my 2nd bike(first was yamaha 200)

I have a couple of questions though and was wondering if anyone would be willing to take a stab it the answers:

1. there is a bumping coming from underneath the bike at any speed. it increases in frequency at higher speeds and decreases at lower speeds. could this be a faulty chain?

2. the front fender seems to hit the tire sometimes when i am braking or turning. this cannot be good. how can this be adjusted?

Any help woulkd be greatly appreciated. I am relatively new to motorcycles and am just trying to learn as much as i can.

Thanks!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Welcome, I used to have an '82 Nighthawk 450, it was a good bike. Sounds like you have a few things to look into before getting back on the road again. I would start by making sure the chain is properly lubed and tensioned, and both axles are torqued to spec. I would also make sure the tires are the correct size, and there are no bulges and that they don't appear to be out of round. Look over your forks carefully, and make sure nothing is loose around the tripple clamps, etc. The front tire rubbing the fender when braking or in a turn sounds scary, let us know what you find.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Welcome to the group Crispy.

First, here's a link to some new member information that helps us all to communicate.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3797

If your fender is hitting your tire I would suspect a mounting bolt or bracket that's broken or missing. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

The thumping might be the chain, or possibly a sprocket, maybe a tire, might even be a deaf-mute Leprechaun caught on something under there. I'd put it on the center stand and run it to see if there's something obvious.

KEEP YOUR FINGERS AWAY FROM THOSE MOVING PARTS!

Come on back after you poke around a little more and let us know what you find.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts