Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Firstly i'd like to apologize if this thread is redundant, I have not seen a topic addressing what i am looking for so here I go:

I have a 1982 CM450E with front and rear drum brakes.Recently I hit a bump on the road and messed up my speedometer and front wheel a little, it now has a wobble. I went to see my mechanic about it and he said we could find a new wheel OR swap the whole front end with disc brakes from another bike. I have no mechanical experience besides the little things i have learn over the years to perform my own maintenance but I am very much a newbie.

I have found a front setup locally(19inch wheel), but it is for a CB450 (It looks like parts from a CB450SC). Now i was wondering if anyone knows if these parts are swapable? If i show up with the front setup from a CB450SC, will my mechanic be able to make the swap?

A CM450E is supposed to have a 18 inch front wheel, and a 16 inch rear, but the previous owner of my bike had swapped the rear for a 17 inch tire/wheel. So i currently have a 18 front and 17 rear on my bike.
Will having a 19 inch front tire be okay since it would be closer to the factory's intended wheel size difference(~2 inches)?

If these parts are not compatible, which are? and do your have them for sale ahahahahha
Also a link to any builds doing the swap mentioned above would be great as well!

Thanks a lot guys,

Here are links to the photos of the CB450 parts I found locally,can your experienced eyes let me know if these parts are still decent.

·
Registered
421 Posts
As you're gonna find out, there are tons of front ends that can bolt up with little to no modifications. That, however, does not mean that any front end that fits will suit your needs.

The easiest front end swap in my opinion would be from a disc brake CM/CB 400/450 SOHC '78-'86 (nighthaw, hawk, CM400C etc) as these all use basically the same frame.

I have a VF500F Interceptor fork and wheel on my 1982 Nighthawk 450 and that was a direct bolt on, just had to trim the steering stop tabs.

Here is a good resource to find bikes who's triple tree fits the bearings in your head tube (or rather what bearings to use with what fork to fit your bike). You will need to find fork length somewhere else though.

All Balls Conversion Chart

And here is a write up on the fork swap I did on my bike. VF500F interceptor Front End on CB450SC

As for the front end you have found locally those parts look to be in good condition and will bolt on no problem (steering stop tabs might need trimming, idk). As for the wheel difference I wouldn't worry about it, R17/F19 will give you the same stance as R16/F18. I think the speedo gear from the CB450SC front end will work witht he speedometer from your bike too.

Good luck!

Reactions: Khafee

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As you're gonna find out, there are tons of front ends that can bolt up with little to no modifications. That, however, does not mean that any front end that fits will suit your needs.

The easiest front end swap in my opinion would be from a disc brake CM/CB 400/450 SOHC '78-'86 (nighthaw, hawk, CM400C etc) as these all use basically the same frame.

I have a VF500F Interceptor fork and wheel on my 1982 Nighthawk 450 and that was a direct bolt on, just had to trim the steering stop tabs.

Here is a good resource to find bikes who's triple tree fits the bearings in your head tube (or rather what bearings to use with what fork to fit your bike). You will need to find fork length somewhere else though.

All Balls Conversion Chart

And here is a write up on the fork swap I did on my bike. VF500F interceptor Front End on CB450SC

As for the front end you have found locally those parts look to be in good condition and will bolt on no problem (steering stop tabs might need trimming, idk). As for the wheel difference I wouldn't worry about it, R17/F19 will give you the same stance as R16/F18. I think the speedo gear from the CB450SC front end will work witht he speedometer from your bike too.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for that!
It helps immensely. My mechanic sent me this "You would definitely need to know the stem length and neck collar are the same size or compatible along with the fork tube diameter to ensure that the new forks will fit your existing triple tree."

I have two questions regarding what he said:
1. Where can I figure all of this out!? Any resources i can look at?
2. In the front setup that the local seller sent me, isn't there a tripple tree setup, couldn't I just use that one? meaning all the parts would fit?

Thanks for all your help, i'm just trying to figure all of this out before I contact my mechanic and the seller again.

Cheers,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know where I can find out the "Steering Stem" length of a CM450E and CB450SC?

I found the CM450E part:
53200-413-000ZA

And the CB450SC part:
53200-MC9-670

Now the codes don't match but I'm not sure if that is just because the CM450E has the part in Black....or are they completely different lengths?

If it is still unclear, i guess I'm looking for this measurment:
Example image

My mechanic says these have to match of the two bikes to fit. I think they will, but if anyone has information on the length of the stem for these two models, please let me know!

·
Registered
421 Posts
There really isn't anywhere you can find a list of stem lengths. And yes, the set up you posted that is for sale locally would fit. All steering stem lengths are the same on the cb400t/cb450sc/400e/400c/450e/450c all those have virtually the same frame and the front ends should be interchangeable from one to the other without any modifications.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts