Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new here to this thread and have only recently gotten into riding and working on my motorcycle. In this adventure I have managed to majorly screw myself by not realizing there was a crack in my drain valve on my bike and when tightening the bolt back on with a new crush washer I managed to break off the bottom portion of the threading. If anyone could help me out with possible ideas on how to fix this or even replace the bottom part of the engine casing then that would be awesome. As I am new to all of this I unfortunately do not know specific parts to look for, but I am constantly trying to learn as much as I can about my bike.
Thanks a ton,
Dave

IMG_1742.jpg IMG_1738.jpg IMG_1739.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,202 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey JT, thanks for the reply and help. I don't think im going to go the JB weld route just because I have seen that fail too many times and it doesn't really offer a long term solution. I do appreciate the link to a lower engine casing, which is what I think I am going to head towards. I have never taken apart a bike before so I am doing a bit of research before I dive head first into buying parts. If you have any recommendations or ideas for taking the lower casing off it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I think these engines you need the upper and lower as a set?
You'll need to remove the engine from the frame.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The crankcase set is a matched pair. This is the upper case and the lower crank carrier. You can swap out the lower case no problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to clarify this means that I can swap out the lower case without having to completely swap out the lower and upper case?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
I just checked the Part Numbers. All SOHC 450 twins use the same lower case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is great news then! the only step now for me is to either figure out how to swap them or take the bike to a shop in town

·
Registered
414 Posts
You would need to remove the engine and remove and replace the lower case and oil seal on the bench. I don't know what the shops in your area charge for labor but here its over $100 per hour. I don't know how long it would take them but it could get expensive fast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts