Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any body know how to take the exhaust baffles out of an 82 cm250c end of the muffler looks like this:
Auto part Automotive wheel system Rim Wheel

My dad thought that those little round things might be really dirty alan head screws and after trying that for lack of any better idea they are decidedly rivits, I did a little looking on this site and round the Internet and it seems most of them just pull right out but I didn't really find anything pertaining to my specific style of muffler
So before I break this should the baffle tube just pull out, or do I need to deal with these rivits first?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Why would you want to pull them out? What are u trying to improve? Bit of a job but if the mufflers are off the bike give them a shake. Does it sound like there are rusted fragments inside or are there rusted fragments coming out of the pipes. If its carbon I personally wouldn't worry too much. Take it for a good rip. Is the outer Chrome shell expanded... Kinda like it backfired and the metal is stretched. from the pics you are showing it appears the baffle'd end seems to be in pretty good shape. The rest of the pipe does it have holes in it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mufflers are fine aside from the expected carbon buildup. I want to take the baffles out because I'm tired of the fact that my average fart is louder than this bike.
I came here for advice because I'd hope taking it apart properly would give the option to put it back if I don't like the way it ends up sounding

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Yes you'd have to drill out the rivets. If you decide to proceed start with a smaller than expected drill bit then change to the next size up if needed. This way you might leave enough material for the new rivets to grab when you want to reinstall the baffles.

I'd suggest lightly modifying the baffles just a bit (drill some of the holes in the baffle material one size larger) and popping them back on with sheetmetal screws just to test for sound level before new rivets go in.

You can easily make it too loud, if you're careful you can make it just right by modding in little steps and testing.

Be sure to check the color of your plugs before and after a few miles to see if you'll need to jejet your carbs.
Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts