Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Forum,

I've got my friend's bike in my garage wasting space. He's finally getting around to rebuilding it after crashing several years ago. We needed to rebuild the forks so we have pulled and drained.

I believe the forks are the same as the ones on an 1981 CB400T and so I have found the repair manual on manualslib. However, one difference is my friend's forks are air loaded, so I'd like to make sure the torque and oil fill specs are still accurate.

For front forks, I have these torque specs:
Fork clamp bolts: 13-18 ft-lbs
Fork top bolt (with the air valve): 51-65 ft-lbs
Fork bottom bolt (nominally hidden by axle): NO SPEC LISTED

The oil fill is listed as 137-143 ml of "ATF" - when the manual was written, there was probably one type of ATF. What would you use?

Finally, I can't find any info on the fork air pressure.

I'd really appreciate if y'all can confirm the above torque specs and fill in the missing one. That thread-locked bottom bolt seems pretty important to know the torque of. My last case scenario is just using a generic torque value for the thread pitch of the bolt (which I assume is m8 which would mean ~20 ft-lbs or so)

Thank you all!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would just lightly snug the fork top bolt till its fully seated, 51- 65 ft lbs sounds more like a rear axle torque . Try 10 wt oil in the forks of the recommended amount. Maxima makes quality oils at a good price. garjo

·
Registered
35 Posts
also
My 85' cb450sc fork damper rod bolt calls for 11 to 18 ft lbs, i'd think the cb400 fork would be quite similiar. I'd recommend blue locktite on this bolt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts