Honda Twins banner

101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Hey, I'm doing a similar build. Do you mind telling me what seat you bought?
I bought mine from motorcycleseatsdirect.com but I had to heavily modify the bike in order to make it work for my circumstances. I think I would likely go a different route if I was going to do it again. See some of my earlier posts in this tread to see just some of what I have done. I still do no like the way I have rigged it up to attach.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
OK, so while I had my carbs off the bike to make the modifications that I discussed in my last post, I decided to go ahead and replace the throttle cables, as they had seemed to be sticking which my last build. What I mean by "sticking" is that when I let go of the grip, the throttle would stay engaged unless I rotated it back to its base position. I thought perhaps that I had crimped a cable or something, so I just decided to replace both cables.

Now I have 2 new cables, but I have the same problem when I have them installed that I had before. What am I doing wrong?
View attachment 67186 View attachment 67187 :confused::confused:

I tried just disconnecting the push cable from both sides to see if that would help, and the pull cable will still not snap back on its own. Could this have to do with cable routing?

I have made sure that there are no sharp bends in the lines, and they seem to pull fine before I hook them up to the carb.
I continue to have this issue. I can't seem to figure out what the issue is. Seems like it has to be in the routing, or something obscenely simple that I am just missing as I have never adjusted throttle cables before. If anyone has any ideas, I am all ears.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Have you got the cables running between the top engine mounting plates? Keeping them in a smooth flowing configuration (not making a sharp turn AROUND the engine mounting brackets) helps them work freer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Have you got the cables running between the top engine mounting plates? Keeping them in a smooth flowing configuration (not making a sharp turn AROUND the engine mounting brackets) helps them work freer.
Thanks. I will take another look at this. I had thought I was free of kinks, but I will go a little extreme and see if it helps. When the cables are not hooked to the carb, the seem to slide fine. I have changed the handlebars from stock to clubman style, but if anything, I would think this would have made the cables too long, not too short.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Steve. I am about to purchase the KN pods, new jets, and the shims that you talked about earlier. I have looked through the various links you had posted too (thanks for sharing all your resources). I was wondering- did you end up buying a carb rebuild kit? I know longdistancerider recommends the Honda OEM ones - were you able to find these? Did you end up going with them? Thanks for all your help.

101 - 106 of 106 Posts