Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an old 1982 450 nighthawk. It was in great condition for its age and runs but I have an issue with the ignition that makes it pretty much unridable. The key needs to be held in just the right way to get it running. I figured the best and fastest way to deal with it would be just buy a new ignition switch.

I just got it in the mail and it’s like just a cheap plastic thing that I’m fairly sure wouldn’t fit where I need it as it’s much smaller than the stock one. My question is pretty simple; is there a place online that I can buy a good quality switch that will work with my bike. I am really itching to ride it.

I don’t know if maybe something for a larger nighthawk would work maybe? (A 650 or 750) since it’s just the switch I need. Or maybe an aftermarket replacement. I don’t care about being original or anything just something I know will work every time and works (the most important part)

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I just bought an old 1982 450 nighthawk. It was in great condition for its age and runs but I have an issue with the ignition that makes it pretty much unridable. The key needs to be held in just the right way to get it running. I figured the best and fastest way to deal with it would be just buy a new ignition switch.

I just got it in the mail and it’s like just a cheap plastic thing that I’m fairly sure wouldn’t fit where I need it as it’s much smaller than the stock one. My question is pretty simple; is there a place online that I can buy a good quality switch that will work with my bike. I am really itching to ride it.

I don’t know if maybe something for a larger nighthawk would work maybe? (A 650 or 750) since it’s just the switch I need. Or maybe an aftermarket replacement. I don’t care about being original or anything just something I know will work every time and works (the most important part)
Moved to SOHC Electrical
Someone more familiar with your model will be along. In the meantime, this is what you should do first.
Critical - READ BEFORE YOUR FIRST POST

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The ignition switch/lock cylinder is specific to the CB450SC, no other models used it. The lock cylinder incorporates the steering lock in it.
It sounds like the switch portion of it has a tab broken, there are 2 plastic tabs the secure the switch portion to the lock portion. Look at your switch carefully and try pushing the switch bottom in. If it moves more than a couple thousandths the tabs aren't working right. You can disassemble it being careful of which tiny piece and spring is locate. Have a camera handy because it's easy to mess up. Don't ask how I know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts