Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, long time since Ive been back. I recently picked up a non twin, but havent had luck in any other forum. Everyone here has been a great help so I figured it was worth a shot.

1981 XL185S enduro. Got it cheap, and got it non running. Replaced a broken camshaft and timing advance parts, and it fired. Runs and rides, but shifts weird. Shifting into 1st no problem, but once its in 1st it has zero play in the lever, all my other bikes have that sprung slack in 1st gear, this ones non moving. Shifts into neutral ok. Have the biggest issues getting into 2nd gear. Just wants to stay in neutral. Once in 2nd gear though it shifts completely normal from 2-5 and downshifts as it should all the way down into 1st while having that 1st gear stuck feeling. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Bent shift fork, or the gear/shaft has damage where the gear slides on the shaft to change gears. Just delt with a similear problem on a Yamaha RD400. There was a spot on the gear and shaft that looked like it had electricity arc across it. Could not figure out how/what caused it, but was able to hone the shaft/gear and repair it.
TOOLS

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yikes. I just had the engine out for disassembly. Hmmm

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
That's what I would think,remove both the sidecovers,alt. rotor,oil spinner,clutch,etc.,leave the shift shaft in and get it to the point where you can spin the trans. mainshaft and then shift/work it through all the gears and see how it shifts and then at that point see if it's necessary to take it fully apart.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update. Had pulled the clutch cover, oil spinner, clutch assembly and the shifter shaft. My pawl was slightly bent, and nothing a little careful tapping with a hammer couldnt fix. The main issue I noticed was that the pawl return spring wasnt set properly, so now that its set its good to go. Got it all back together and took it for a maiden spin around the block to test, and its working 99%, just need to pull the clutch cover again to replace the gasket. Previous one had torn and split, but I reused it anyways just in case I had to go back in there, which I do anyways because my decompression cam follower isnt set right and not engaging the kicker.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts