Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Clymer manual and Honda Shop Manual both say for 81 CM 400A, C and T 190cc and CM400E 135cc, depending which model you have. If you don't have a manual, get one, Honda preferably, there are very handy. They are free PDF online ones or can try to PM one if you want.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I'd suggest using 10W fork oil, it gives a little more stiffness to the shock action. Original spec is ATF which is @7-8W. Honda dealers sell the 7-8W oil, almost any motorcycle shop will have fork oil in various brands.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The choice to use cc or ml is often dictated by locality and convention. In the metric system it is convention to talk about liquids, for example, in volumes of liters – and parts of liters. People in metric areas will purchase their gasoline in liters and they often report their fuel efficiency as kilometers per liter – while places that do not abide by the metric standards will refer to gasoline in gallons and distance as miles. Those folks report fuel efficiency as miles per gallon. In the final analysis, there is absolutely no difference between a cc and a ml. They are perfectly interchangeable – except for convention.

I'm not that smart, google is! :D

So, it is 190cc or ml or 135cc or ml depending on your model.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'd suggest using 10W fork oil, it gives a little more stiffness to the shock action. Original spec is ATF which is @7-8W. Honda dealers sell the 7-8W oil, almost any motorcycle shop will have fork oil in various brands.
Good to know. I was wondering just today what the weight of ATF is. Do you think for a 120 pound rider (the wife, not me) that the 10W might be a little too stiff possibly or still a good call? We've got a lot of bad roads around here.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Good to know. I was wondering just today what the weight of ATF is. Do you think for a 120 pound rider (the wife, not me) that the 10W might be a little too stiff possibly or still a good call? We've got a lot of bad roads around here.

buy the pro honda oil.
LDR suggested it.
pretty solid.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I'd go with the 10W, I doubt it'll be too harsh for your wife. Roads aren't that bad in your area are they? Been a couple of years since I was down there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'd go with the 10W, I doubt it'll be too harsh for your wife. Roads aren't that bad in your area are they? Been a couple of years since I was down there.
Sonoma County has some of the worst roads in the State unfortunately. But I know where the really bad sections are and where the good sections are so I try to adjust my routes accordingly. I guess the combination of tree roots, rain, tons of tourist traffic and farming equipment on the road is not a great combination.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts