Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, lets remember that I managed to get it started before. Even recorded a video. My multimeter has crapped out. But I don't know why I'm back here. Back at the no start issue. I even swapped out my CDIs. I have 2 others to choose from.

I've pulled out my spark plugs, and guess what... NO SPARK! The nerve of that machine lol.

I'm at a loss. And I suppose I will stay that way till I get another multimeter.

Any other tips would be very helpful.

I'm on my way to Harbor Freight for an extension cord, some cutoff wheels for my angle grinder, wire shrink, and a multimeter. The hunt is on! Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Did it have spark previously?
If so, double check your connections and kill switch.
If not, you'll want to test the rest of the electrical system.
You trimmed your ignition wire?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. I did double and triple check. I'm hoping the multimeter will tell me something. I never even ran it with a complete harness. Just used the CDI pack harness to run it. I didn't trim my ignition wire. I am however, wiring up a complete harness. Cool thing about that is, I may be able to mount the ignition switch in the top engine mount. It has been hit by rain but even then, I would think it was a deal.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
You aren't testing the CDI unit, just all of the other components. We don't have any valid testing for the CDI, Honda had a special tool for that and seems most, if not all, dealers scrapped them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You aren't testing the CDI unit, just all of the other components. We don't have any valid testing for the CDI, Honda had a special tool for that and seems most, if not all, dealers scrapped them.
Well of course by testing I mean measuring the resistance. I can compound the lt blue wire with any of the other wires for a resistance read. Just not the brown one, which is why I feel there is an issue within the engine itself. Without a book in front of me, I have no idea what that wire is for.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Lt. Blue to Brown is checking the primary pickup, the one outside the rotor. 207 ohms, check that your ohm meter is set for that range if it's not an auto-ranging type.
Do you need the FSM?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yes, a multi meter is a must, they all more or less have ACVolts for genny output tests of vac, which can help pin point ignition faults. From memory the outside alloy 2 pip unit has 2 coils, both earthing/grounding via the visible screw end and alloy body to engine.

I do not have info to hand at present. I have seen a matrix for some cdi resistance checks which I will try and find for you/forum.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The CDI test matrix reading listed in the FSM are only applicable when using the Honda special service tool. That's why there's the sticky in this section listing the resistances and diagnosis of all the other components. If all those check out in spec then the CDI is the only part needed

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I have a copy of the FSM. Not a physical cipy, but copy nonetheless. I'm using a mulitmeter. I did have it raised to handle the excess resistance. Can only double and triple check in regards to the range. I will also double check for corrosion on the connectors.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally getting down time to work on the bike, Ive pulled the stator. It was covered in oil. Not a lot, but it was oily. It this normal? I was thinking it should be dry. Anything I can do to maybe clean it or something to try and see if it'll give me a reading? Like I said before. It's just the brown wire that I can't get a reading on when I probe it and other wires to test.

I have another engine in a tote but when I went to measure it's resistance, I didn't get anything from it. My spare for my other bike gives me good reads. But it's for the other bike. They both still have a way to go, but I was going to fine tune the carbs and test out the new wiring harness once it's finished.

What should I do? Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
When you say you don't get a reading on the brown wire, what setting are you using?
Sometimes if I'm not getting a reading, i will up the resistance to see if it will read. Example... If in measuring for 5k ohm but not getting anything, I'll switch the multimeter setting to 20k or whatever to see if it responds. Maybe just to tell if it's a difference between high resistance or a break in the wire or internally. Can you post a photo of your stator and pick up?

As for the oil, the 350s hang out in oil, but my 83 450 has always seemed dry when I remove the cover.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will have to get a picture. But I raised it up and down 200 to 20k ohms. But still no dice. Every other wire gives me a reading. No matter where I pair it. It doesn't look bad, except the metal "blade" on the pickup was already missing.. the only thing that has changed since the very first time I started it, is the presence of oil. I sprayed it with degreaser and cleaned it with a steel brush.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Brown wire resistance is measured using the light blue as per the instructions here http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/64...400-450-cb450sc-manual-trans-1978-1986-a.html
The stator area on these engine is a dry area, no oil. However there is always some seepage past the crank seal that builds up over time. Clean it out complaetely and recheck in a month or so after it's running again
That's what I thought, it's supposed to be dry. And you are correct it's supposed to be measured with the lt blue wire, however as stated before. It's a no go.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
If you can find just that part it can be soldered in easily. Look through threads where someone has replaced their stator, maybe they kept the old one and can pull the pickup out for you.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The primary pickup is responsible for the spark, the Brown and Lt. Blue wires are the 2 wires for that pickup. Open circuit, no resistance reading, means the pickup isn't working telling the CDI unit when to fire the coil.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts