Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my gf's brother is working on a 1981 CM400T. The mufflers it came with (stock) look like they have been shot with a shotgun and he is looking for some aftermarket ones. The OD of the headers is 1-5/8" and when he tried buying some pipes (look almost like EMGO Roadhawks) the mufflers did not match up, and he would have to "crush" the mouth of the muffler to get it into the header. The parts fiche drawing confirms this. It looks like the muffler goes "into" the header rather than "on top of" the header.

What pipes can fit this bike? I offered my dunstall replicas but I think it will be the same story...

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
ALL the aftermarket mufflers I've seen fit OVER the header pipe... He may have to use shims.......

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I think maybe if he loses the "crossover tube" thing, it will work ok..........

The CM mufflers did fit into the crossover tube outlets, not over them like a normal setup.
Like Steve said, the aftermarket mufflers do come with shims, to allow them to fit everything up to 1-3/4".

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I let him know about losing that "middle piece". Thanks for the help everyone!

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
That "middle piece" is actually the muffler and a strategic part of the overall "tuning" of the bike.
The parts that look like mufflers are "secondary resonators" (more mufflers) to change the exhaust pitch and "mellow" the tone.....
Be aware that removing the chamber might require some re-jetting......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts