Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having many problems getting my bike started. One day it starts fine then next it wont. Last night, I had the plugs out and was getting good spark. Today, absolutely no spark. I have put in a new battery. We went through with the testers today to see where the electricity was flowing. My father-in-law (he's the mechanical one, not me) felt we neded to look at the wiring in the ac generator. We took the cover off, removed the screw, but can't get the rotor off. I am afraid to reef on it. How does this come off. From my diagrams, it looks like it should slide off once the bolt is removed.

Below is a picture if it helps.

[attachment=0:179xi1u5]Publication1.jpg[/attachment:179xi1u5]

Sean

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just did a bit of reading and realize i need a special tool. Have to find it tomorrow.

However, if anyone has advice on troubleshooting an intermittent igition problem, I'd love to hear it. We have gone through most of the wires with a testor. My FIL wants to check the alternator. The old battery never charged proper;y off the bike.

Sean

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
I think I remember a general thread on testing charging systems. If you haven't read through that I would recommend doing so before taking anything apart. I'd hate to see any accidental damage occur as the alt is no longer available. You can however find them used on eBay occasionally in the $50-80 usd range. They can also be rewired which will produce more output. This is kind of nice if you end up converting the standard headlight to a H4 unit.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Ditto on testing the charging system. That should tell you what needs to be done without taking anything apart.

When you do get the rotor off you really won't be able to tell anything unless there's something obvious like a broken wire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts