Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm in the middle of a long rebuild/ Cafe Racer conversion and I'm working on the front suspension right now. The stock forks are air forks and I was wondering if anyone had done a conversion to spring. If that doesn't work, I'm good with just swapping out to a set from a '79 or '80, but I'm not sure if they're an exact fit. Has anyone done something like this that can offer some insight?

·
Registered
3,034 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alan, thanks for the quick reply! I should have been more specific, my reasons are mostly aesthetic. I'm trying to swap out to standard fork caps to get rid of the higher profile/connected caps that came stock. If they'll ride just fine without air, I should be able to just swap caps without issue, then run them with the stock spring and some 10w fork oil, yeah?

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
No worries, finding caps that fit may be a chore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You should also try to measure static sag and rider sag on the forks before you pull them apart. Springs in stock forks are notoriously soft. You may need to add longer spacers at the top to get rider sag in the 30-35mm range.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I added 3/4" to my CM400C forks and ran no air only ATF, I'm 255# and with IRC Durotuors at 33psi, Bikemaster Daytona bars with 30mm risers, and worn out 13" shocks from my CB750K3 it was the best handling bike I've owned! Probably because it felt very easy to trust.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts