Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. I’m a newbie to this forum but I’m sure there’s a lot of experts on this forum. I’m very comfortable working on Honda electrical systems, but I have a problem I’m struggling with. I’ve just completely restored a 1981 CM400C only to discover the alternator is not charging. The regulator was fine; the alternator coils were shorted to ground. Since I was unable to locate a used stator to buy, I disassembled the alternator and re-wired it. Alternator checks out properly now EXCEPT I either damaged one of the ignition coils or mis-wired them. The wires are too faded and stained to match and re-connect (my bad). The ignition components here consist of a Fixed Pulser (external to stator), an ignition coil (internal), and an Advancer Pulser (internal). There are 9 wires from 3 connectors to the alternator: 3 yellow to the alternator windings, 2 to the Fixed Pulser and the last 4 connect inside the stator, but unfortunately there’s 5 connections inside the stator and I can’t find a detailed wiring diagram for these internal ignition components. Has anyone figured this out before? Does anyone have a bad stator that I can reverse engineer? When I solve this, I’ll post here the HOW-TO rebuild the alternator, detailed wiring diagram, materials needed to do the rebuild, etc.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I Have a used CB450SC stator that had the trigger cut off by the PO. Wiring to the trigger is intact and I have the trigger It was cut 1/4" off the trigger. I would need to check and make sure the wiring is not faded and is viable for your purpose. PM me.

·
Registered
459 Posts
As far as I am aware all the manual trans cm/cb400/450's use the same stator so it would work. If I am wrong I am sure someone will be along shortly to set me straight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can you post a photo of your stator? I appreciate your willingness to assist. And I'm excited to learn all about these stators so I can perhaps be helpful to this forum in repairing them.
Cheers,
John
stator.jpg

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
There's a detailed explanation of the CDI system in the FSM's. PM sent
The resistances of the windings for the stator CDI components is critical since that's part of the ignition timing advance.
The part you have listed as ignition coil in your picture is actually the power supply for the CDI

·
Registered
459 Posts
cscokd, stator is in storage at my mothers. I'll be there Saturday and can snap a couple pics then.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good News! Thanks to Jim for pointing me to the diagnosis post, I was able to get the wiring straightened out using my ohmmeter and now everything is working properly. My rectifier is now properly charging the battery and I drove it today. I will put together a post that shows in detail how to rewire these alternators including materials needed, number of turns, etc.
Best Regards,
John Neese

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cscokd, stator is in storage at my mothers. I'll be there Saturday and can snap a couple pics then.
Thanks for the offer HamHock! I was able to get my stator wired properly again. Thank you for being willing to help.
Cheers,
John Neese

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'd be (I'm sure others too) very interested to to know more about how you wound and potted the coils and also how you arrived at the right resistance.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Hi cscokd,

Can you source new plastic bobbins and the very fine "cotton candy" wire found inside the alloy outer mounted coils, being 0.00015 inch diameter from memory ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts