Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this is my first post on here although I have lurked on these forums before.

I'm looking at buying this cm400c with about 30,000 miles on it. Needs a battery, and tail lights, signals... But from what i can tell it runs pretty decently. I have had an 87, and 01 rebel which required me to swap the head out. This bike seems really clean but I have heard about complications due to internal chains or something in the 400s. Just wondering if you guys could clarify this for me and maybe tell me a couple things to look for when I see the bike again with cash in hand. It has a really neat cafe build, and the guy is asking 1400, which I'm sure i can bring him down on, just not sure if the miles make this deal a non-starter. THANKS alot guys!

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Welcome to the group. We like for folks to start out with an introduction, we even have instructions!

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/23-member-introductions/121120-critical-read-before-posting.html

With proper maintenance most Hondas can last well past 30,000 miles, but, you can expect to get familiar with working on it. Not so much that it will leave you walking but stuff does wear out. The 400 has a cam chain and a balancer chain which both require adjustment and eventual replacement. You can learn about them in the factory service manual. PM sent. Browsing through the various topics in the SOHC section of the forum would also be helpful.

They are not difficult bikes to work on and parts are reasonably available.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Before you buy, do you know how to do a quick inspection of a used motorcycle? Check the fluids, bring a flashlight and check for any leaks (fuel system, engine, crankcase, shocks), look for any missing pieces, and check signs that a previous mechanic may be an idiot (missing, incorrect, or stripped fasteners). Assuming no major problems, then check the tires for wear, damage, and the date codes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts