Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was able to score this bike for free and it runs really well. It has been my commuter for a few weeks now. Well today I was riding to work and went change gears and the shift lever was GONE. I was able to pull off the to the side of the road and search for it. Long story short I found the shift lever but it looks like a few cars ran over it and its pretty bent up. Looks like in my stupidity the screw managed to come loose and then the lever fell off. Adding that to my pre-ride checklist from now on. So i'm faced with a dilemma. Is this gear shift lever even salvageable? It looks pretty beat up. (See picture) Or should I just get a new one? I found one on eBay but it rusty as hell and i'm not sure if I trust it. Do other gear shift levers from other bikes fit this motorcycle? If I go aftermarket (if i even can find one aftermarket) what is the spline count or size I am looking for? I have scoured google for this information but came up with nothing. I could be super blind though. Thanks for everything in advance and sorry for the wall of text.

20200408_092033.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Depends on what you have for a shop. You'll need a vise, maybe a large punch, channel locks or vise grip, hammer (just in case the other stuff doesn't work). If you can get it opened up so it fits on the shaft and install a bolt you should be able to make it work until you can find a replacement.

That lever fits a bunch of bikes, if you happen to have a salvage yard in the area they can probably match it up.

Here's the part number, 24700-447-000, but new ones appear to be in scarce supply.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey man, you're a life saver. It looks like this part fits all the 80-83 CM lines. I think I actually found one from a CM450 that should work. Thanks so much again! I was able to limp it to a buddy's house in 4th gear. My bike hates me so much right now. Luckily he was only a mile away . I was able to limp it to a buddy's house in 4th gear. My bike hates me so much right now. Luckily he was only a mile away! And I'll post pictures if the bike soon 😁. You got a nice lookin bike yourself there

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought on the ones from Sirius that they indicated fit the CM400

. It’s about 2” shorter then the original. I don’t know if it’s gonna work yet. My bikes completely apart with the motor pulled out of the frame. Once I get it back together I’ll update you guys accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
I finally got my CM400 shifter sorted out. I cut off the damaged end on mine and I found another shifter off a CB750 at a local junkyard. They have the same shifter peg at the end. I cut the peg off the CB750 shifter and welded it onto mine. I then had it powder coated in silver. Turned out pretty good to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts