Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Comments welcome and appreciated!
I'm taking the winter to give the bike some much needed TLC and will be posting my progress. Trying to get it apart and inside before it's too cold.

Made some good progress today:
- Removed front end (tire, front brake, drained forks, throttle, clutch, bars, tach & speedometer, headlight, horn). Hand grips seem like they were super glide on. The air hose connecting the right side fork head looks cross threaded. Yay...

- Removed gas tank and emptied it. Planning to slosh oil through it and keep inside warm and dry.
- Removed seat
- Removed mufflers and footpegs
- Attempted to remove the baffle (?) that both pipes flow into on their way to the individual mufflers but it didn't want to come free. I added penetration fluid and will leave it for a day or two. Looks so rusted out that it will probably need to be replaced.
- Removed the rear wheel. Noticed about 0.5mm side to side play in rear sprocket. Chain moves well and no stuck links. A bit of rust on the axle on the right end where it goes through the drum.
Not sure if there's also rust in the bearing. Looks a bit dirty though. I pulled the dust seal off. It's seated around a retainer ring that may be *interesting* to reinstall.
- Removed battery and will leave on tender for winter
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
I am going to do the same, dismantle, clean and paint a '79 CB400T, in the near future.
But first I am resolving all the mechanical and electrical issues so that when it goes back together
it should run and be rideable. I will start a thread when I get into the project. Good luck and
keep us posted on your progress.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,208 Posts
Penetrating oil and heat plus a good amount of twisting will get the pipes out of the power chamber. Usually best to leave it mounted to the engine so you have something big to hold it.
That fork cap should be able to be tapped to clean up the threads, just looks like the PO overtightened it and they started pulling.
Large circlip pliers will get that circlip off the wheel, there is some side play that's normal and your's sounds right. Don't loose the big washer, unobtanium. Circlip and spacer are available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to do the same, dismantle, clean and paint a '79 CB400T, in the near future.
But first I am resolving all the mechanical and electrical issues so that when it goes back together
it should run and be rideable. I will start a thread when I get into the project. Good luck and
keep us posted on your progress.
Very cool Old Okie. Post some pics when you start working on it :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
It is actually easier to put back in than take it off. If you have any douts about the bearings, they are cheap, easy to do and perfect time to do it while the wheels are already off the bike. Asked Jim (I think) about his experience with a bearing failure while driving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is actually easier to put back in than take it off. If you have any douts about the bearings, they are cheap, easy to do and perfect time to do it while the wheels are already off the bike. Asked Jim (I think) about his experience with a bearing failure while driving.
Yep, I remember that post about bearing failure and I'm definitely replacing front and rear!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Made a tiny bit more progress tonight.
- Removed carbs. A little tough to get out but no harm done. The top bolt on the left intake was loose, so I'm glad I caught that.
- Removed choke cable. Set screw that holds it in place on carb was stripped badly and needs replacing.
- Left the throttle cables attached for now in case I was to simply clean and reinstall. There were no carb issues before so no need to fix what's not broken (right?).
- Removed and emptied float bowls of carbs to prevent gumming.
- Removed chain. Master link was in correct direction. It came off smoothly without ruining anything.
...Motor, exhaust, and swingarm still to go before I can lift this thing!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Snuck in a quick wrench after work today...
- Removed rear brake lever
- Removed left engine case. Insides have most definitely been touched before.
- Drained oil
- Removed front sprocket. About 1mm of play in this one, more than the rear. Cause for concern? Teeth looked a bit worn but not replacement time yet.
Tried (again) to remove exhaust pipes and power chamber (collector chamber) but where the meet is pretty siezed. Will need some *encouragement*
- Removed cables linking engine to frame: clutch, tachometer, wiring at back
Posting pics later tonight...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pics:
- Rear brake lever spring
- Tachometer removed at engine block
- Clutch cable removed at engine block
- Left crankcase cover removed
- Front sprocket
- Starter motor wire removed (nut, lockwasher and shoe need to replaced)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Continued today...
- Removed a few smaller parts like the battery box, chain guard, bottom chain scrape plate (no idea what it's actually called), wiring harness running down the frame, cables running down front end to engine
- Removed engine (!). Boy that thing is heavy...
- tried to remove the airbox but it doesn't want budge. I might need to take the rear fender off to get it free.
Everything is caked in grease and dirt, so it will be a winter of scrubbing...
 

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top