Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, im new around here and I was looking for some help with getting my honda back to good running shape. it runs well now, I just want to be able to rely on it because im currently using it as my commuter bike. ive done all the normal stuff like oil/filter change, air filter, clutch springs, cam chain balancing, etc. what are other things that these bikes usually need? it has about 23,000 miles and it climbs daily thanks to my 30 miles a day commuting.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Hey Smeed welcome!
Good to hear that bike is getting used on such a frequent basis and running well. My hunch is that by just riding the bike the way you do you'll avoid many of the demons that can plague these bikes. My only advice beyond following the scheduled maintenance recommendations is to use premium fuel and completely flush the brake fluid annually. I also believe a clean bike is a happy bike and when you clean frequently you have a good sense of when something just doesn't look right.
Keep riding!
Mike

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Welcome smeed, good to see another Hawk enter the fold. A lot of CB/CM 400/450's joining the site recently so you should be able to get some tips and ideas.

In addition to the things you listed have you checked the valve clearances. Good idea to check them periodically. Be sure to check your drive chain as well. Seeing how you are getting good use of the bike, you'll need to check the slack in it and keep it lubed.

Are you having any issues? Or just want to know everything you should be doing/checking to keep it in tip-top shape?

Any pics?

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Welcome smeed.

I would only add the balancer chain adjustment behind the big shiny screw-in plug on the right engine cover.

Do you have a shop manual? The Clymer for this bike isn't too bad but the factory manual is better. I think it can still be found by searching the forum.

Personally I like to replace the brake shoes and pads unless you know their age. The rear brake shoes in particular can delaminate and come apart, really screwing up a perfectly good day.

BTJM

We like it when folks include their location in their profile and the year/model of their bike in their signature as it helps us old geezers keep track of what we're talking about.

And we love pictures! :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey thanks for the fast replies!

Pretty much everything you said i am either going to do or have already done. i have flushed brake fluid and im going to do an entire brake rebuild soon, pads, line, master cylinder and all. the rear ones are already changed Also, Im very OCD with keeping a clean bike. there is a new chain/sprocket on it as well. I just have a PDF of the Clymer for now. Valve clearances are the only thing im not too sure on. How do you go about adjusting the balancer chain? I just replaced the fork seals and cleaned/re-built the forks. new fluid that is a little heavier than stock to improve handling.

My biggest worry right now is that the headset is horribly worn. up on the center stand with the fork free, the steering is very notchy, and it wont move freely. It needs new bearings and races for sure, i just cant find a place that sells them.

ill get pics up as soon as i can

·
Premium Member
479 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the links. $40! that seems like a lot for some bearings, but I guess they are a special product. Local dealers are nil, the closest one just closed shop and the next honda dealer is an hour away. ill probably just get them online. however my next big purchase is a windshield, probably a Givi a660.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
HerrDeacon said:
Welcome smeed, good to see another Hawk enter the fold. A lot of CB/CM 400/450's joining the site recently so you should be able to get some tips and ideas.

In addition to the things you listed have you checked the valve clearances. Good idea to check them periodically. Be sure to check your drive chain as well. Seeing how you are getting good use of the bike, you'll need to check the slack in it and keep it lubed.

Are you having any issues? Or just want to know everything you should be doing/checking to keep it in tip-top shape?

Any pics?

Off-topic, I know, but Deacon, yer KILLIN' me with your avatar. MAN, that's a sweet-looking machine!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts