Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Have enjoyed lurking on your forum since a friend gave me his non running 1981 cb400t hawk. Had been in a dirt floored she'd for ten years that stayed wet, with gas in tank and carbs. He told me it ran when he put it up but ran real rough. I cleaned carbs, tig welded rust ring in tank that almost cut it in half ( the rust ring, not the welding) got it to run to find left rod bearing spun on crank . Soooo. Been looking for new motor. It's been great reading all of your posts for the knowledge and most of all the occasional wit. I'm in franklin ohio can't seem to find how to put that in profile. Between dayton on cincinnati. Thanks again darin

Attachments

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Welcome Darin, and sorry to hear about the engine issue. As you know, there are many 400 series people here so hopefully you can find what you need. To modify your profile, go to the Settings link in the upper right of the page and the areas you can adjust are on the left

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply ancientdad. Tried to update profile to no avail. I can turn a wrench, but making the Internet do what I want? No such luck.
Bought an 86? Honda rebel when I was 15. It was honda dirt bikes before that. A few suzuki's after that. Now I'm at one 83 gl650 silverwing brought back to life, and one 85 cb700sc nighthawk, brough back to life. These 2 I do ride. Would like to find low mileage motor to put back in 400. Would like to ride this on some day. Happy holidays to you and yours and everyone reading. Darin

·
Registered
475 Posts
Welcome, First off that's some beauty tig work on that tank and as for your motor look at everything from 1977 to 1981 cb and cm. I know they built a boatload of cb400 bikes in 1978. I have a 1981 CB400t I'm working at the moment the RAT bike DSC00653.JPG DSC00673.JPG Im looking forward to seeing your progress.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You'll need a proper Factory Service Manual for your project. PM sent.
I have a spare motor that I may want to peddle.

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks workdogz. Your project is looking really nice. I haven't done anything to mine for a few months since motor is shot. I acquired a cb700s nighthawk I've been spending most of my time on, as well as the upkeep on my gl650 silverwing. Looking forward to finding a decent motor and getting this thing going

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tepetit53 , thank you for the fsm link but I had the manual printed off and in binder before I had the bike. I have fsm for my other bikes as well. Now, about peddling a 400 engine? Do tell......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts