Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks. Not my first CB400. I had a 1979 CB 400 that didn't really give me troubles.

I just picked up this 1981 for a starter for my lady. She was very particular about what she likes and she liked the Hawk styling AND it's a CB so here we are. The bike started when I went to check it out. I knew there would be work to be done on it. I bought a new battery and it reads just over 12.5 V. I have checked the forums and on-line and can't find the answer specific to this year/model.

There is no power to anything. If I touch the starter wire to the power-in post of the solenoid, it cranks. I checked voltage and there is nothing from the other pole on the solenoid nor to fuses, checked with key both on and off. Is there an in-line fuse I am missing somewhere because I don't see one. I checked the wiring diagrams for the 81 and it doesn't show any other fuses than the 3 on the fuse block. My thinking is that the solenoid to pooched. Just asking for some opinion on that. Amirite?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I'd be surprised if there wasn't a fuse. Your wiring stock harness?
Can you post a photo if there's anything electrical under the seat or left side panel?
Did you test your solenoid if it clicks and has continuity once it does click?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi doode. I can get some shots tomorrow. It's all stock. Nothing under the seat.Was hoping the find something as simple as a fuse somewhere but just the 3 and all good there. No clicks at the solenoid. Nothing. Just voltage at the power in side of the solenoid.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Do your lights come on? Do they dim when you push the starter button? Are you getting power to the yellow/red wire at the solenoid when you push the button? The right handlebar starter button is a two way button. When not pushed the power goes to the headlight via the center fuse. When pushed, the power goes into the yellow/red wire to activate the solenoid and engage the starter motor.
Do you have a proper Honda Factory Service Manual? Wiring diagram?

Reactions: J-T

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi again and thanks guys. I have absolutely no lights with the key on and no voltage to the solenoid pole. No click at the solenoid. When I bought it, it started, but it could have been the seller bypassing the solenoid and rigging the starter directly to the battery until it started. The turn sigs also worked but not the headlight when it was running.

I get 12.5+V from the battery at the solenoid. I still don't see a main fuse if there is one, just the three near the regulator. I will get pics shortly. Suppose it could either be the solenoid or starter switch.

Edit: also downloaded the wiring diag for the Hawk II. No manual. Just followed the wiring diag, It doesn't show an in-line fuse that i could see.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Check BOTH ends of the fuses..top fuse is main 15A, center fuse is headlight 7.5A, bottom fuse is for tail light 7.5A.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
No voltage to either side of fuses means ignition switch is not delivering . Check black wire coming out of ignition switch or red wire going into ignition switch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
No voltage to either side of fuses means ignition switch is not delivering . Check black wire coming out of ignition switch or red wire going into ignition switch.
Shouldn't I be getting something off the solenoid though? Thanks. I pulled apart the switch. The previous owner must have had this issue because one screw was missing and the head of the other one was stripped. So I drilled out the screw. There is no voltage with key on at any of the kill switch wires nor the start switch.

Sorry, were you meaning the keyed ignition switch or the push button start switch? I will check poles on the ignition switch then. Whoops.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Just because a fuse looks good doesn't mean it is good. Test them for continuity.
Trace the wire that supplies current to the ignition switch, it should be hot all the time.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
There are only the 3 fuses on these models. There is a connector on the right side above the battery that has 2 Red wires, be sure that is connected and power is present on both sides of the connector. Go to the ignition switch connector and check for battery voltage on the Red wire. With the key ON check for battery voltage on the Black, Brown and Brown w/White wires of the same connector. Ignore the Black w/White and Green.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts