Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first motorcycle and first build. I've always liked bikes, but I bought my Honda when I saw my first cafe racer. The bike came to me in descent running condition, except for the poor idle, backfiring, and dieing out while idleing. My first decision was to clean the carburetors, but in the process I oxidized them with Zep - Industrial purple degreaser and cleaner, so I've been on Craigslist, Kijiji, and Ebay looking for replacements. In the mean time the once running bike is now in pieces, so I've been stripping and cleaning some bits in order to keep me busy before I do a series of engine diagnostics tests. I'll be posting more detailed pictures in the future but for now, take a look at my oxidized carburetors

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm no chemist, so I dont know exactly why or how this chemical reaction too place. But, what I can tell you is that certain detergents will react with aluminum and oxidize it, this can happen to pots and pans in the dishwasher. For now, all I know is that the black filmy oxide on the carburetors is impossible to clean and I am not putting them back on my motorcycle. A word of caution, this was caused by 'Zep - Industrial purple cleaner and degreaser' so whenever using new chemical products it is wise to test the product on small items before applying it. I ruined 2 sets of carburetors, because I'm such a genius!

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
haha yeah I didn't need a chemical explanation, was just more curious.

Is it not specifically a carb cleaning solution? I always sort of assumed that nothing but carb cleaner should be used on carbs, but that it was also somewhat of a marketing ploy to get us to stop buying brakeleen by the case since it's cheaper than carb cleaner...

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Before I threw those carbs I would try phosphoric acid (alloy wheel cleaner) on them for 5-15 minutes. I did this to get my carbs brighter but the acid is aggressive on alloy so you have to rinse it with water.

[attachment=0:j2ytc1pk]SSA50921-1024-small.jpg[/attachment:j2ytc1pk]

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I'll be trying a phosphoric acid and/or electrolysis bath as a last ditch effort. Nonetheless I'm in the market for new carbs!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My plan is to have all the aluminum bits on my motorcycle shine, and perhaps some ferrous bits so long as they don't rust. The tools and accessories I am using include: cordless drills, pneumatic tools and compressor, electrolysis setup, wire brushes, nylon brushes, flap wheels, rotary steel wire brushes, rotary grinding stones, rotary, rotary polishing pads, rotary flap wheels, sand paper 220-2000 grit, polishing compound, buffing pads, sodium carbonate, soap, water, WD40, Tal-Strip (aircraft paint remover), elbow grease, and an iron will. I think that's about everything in my cleaning arsenal, and the most important thing I've learned about cleaning motorcycle parts is; PAINT USUALLY MEANS PITTED PARTS! It seems as though some owners choose to spray paint over old paint because their lazy butchers, enough said.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More pictures of currently painted and pitted motorcycle parts. I'm leaving the engine mounted and not touching the frame until I remount the carburetors, check compression, do a leak down test, and then make sure it's running. If anyone else has a suggestion feel free to add your 2 cents!

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
Excited to watch this one! Iron will and elbow grease put a man on the moon. I like that you listed your arsenal, you don't need much to work on these.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are some progress photos. Believe it or not, I managed to get a mirror finish on the forks, but it isn't visible because I poured fork oil all over the finished product (creating a bit of a hazy finish) before I decided to take the pictures. Along with the refinished forks I tried to refinish my rims and caliper's in order to have as much polished aluminum on the bike, however, the work recquired to polish my rims and calipers has proven to be too much of a challenge so I've decided to have a professional powder-coat the items for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm also going to refinish the carburetors by soda blasting them at home, does anyone know if I should lubricate around the springs or butter fly valves? I was planning on using some sewing machine lubricant.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've also put together a paper seat cowl concept that I think I'm going to stick with. I want to make my seat out of 16-18ga. aluminum and I think this design is the easiest to weld and it looks great. I want to try and follow the frame lines as much as possible and make sure it looks as straight as possible, despite the frame and tank not accommodating the classic cafe look. I might drop the front end an inch of 2 if it improves the classic cafe look. tell me what you guys think or if I should be heading in another direction!

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Just an opinion.....
You MAY want to tilt that seat away from your body a bit more...looks like it would poke you in the small of your back....

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Again a personal opinion I wonder if a longer seat area might be more accomodating for the rider, but its your bike

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yea, I'll try to optimize the seating area so that it'snot terribly uncomfortable and I'll make sure that the seat doesn't stab me in the back! Ooh, and here's a link to my idle problem (which isn't much of a problem in this video)
the bike would start then die out within 10-60 seconds so I figured they were dirty carbs, tell me what you guys think!

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Looking at the vid the bike starts quickly with the light on so battery is less likely to be an issue.
Im thinking fuel starvation if its 10 to 60 secs, seems like it uses a bowlfull then not enough to keep it going. Only a guess though.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts