Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! New to the world and am looking to build myself a nice café racer out of my recently purchased '80 CM400T. One of the main questions that I have and issues that I am facing is the carbs. What carbs do you recommend that wont break the bank so I can get this thing running so I can at least ride it while I come up with ideas and gather the parts that I need to do the build?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Got any pics of it to share?

IMHO The best carbs for that bike are the stock ones. Keep the air box and power chamber if you want full HP and good performance.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the bike runs but I don’t have the original carbs. I have some undersized carbs and want to find a good alternative to the stock ones. I know how to ride but this is my first old bike that I want to turn into a cafe style bike as my daily. Not trying to do a whole lot other than change the carbs the look and some paint.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I would not change the carb if you don't want to do a lot of work and messing around to get it running well. The stock carbs seem to be the best for these bikes with the stock air box. It's really easy to buy some cone filters and trash the stock air box, but the other part to that is, if you change the air filters, then you are going to have to buy new jets and probably a few other things that all require carb disassembly. A lot of guys spend months trying to tune these right. If your not up for that then just stay with the stock setup.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've got a set of carbs off an '83 CB450SC That I would be willing to part with for cheap. I have the air box too but I don't think that will fit your bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are they pretty much the same carbs as the stock ones? Hit me up on a private message so we can talk some numbers.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm sure Jim will correct me if I am wrong, but I think the carbs I have are 1 or 2MM smaller in the venturi and have only a single main jet unlike the earlier carbs which had 2 main jets. As far as I am aware the carbs I have will bolt on and work without problem (after a cleaning and what not).

Sending PM now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts