Honda Twins banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much work I have gotten my bike starting. She kicks right up and starts with electric start but just won't idle. Brand new carb, and checked my points gap, set at .014. With the points cover off, I'm seeing sparks on the points with the electric sparks. Could this be the cause of not idling? I checked the timing with a multimeter on diode mode to ensure no continuity when the "f" lines up as per the manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, heads up, I'm a massive noob working on bikes.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Sparking at the points can be due to dirty points or a failing condenser. Clean the points with sandpaper and spray electrical cleaner to see if that cures it.
As for the no idle issue, you mention a "new" carb. Since Keihin stopped producing the carb years ago I suspect it one of the clone carbs that may or may not be worth the price of the metal used to make it. Try setting you idle speed higher than usual, start a 1500 and slowly decrease it until you get close to spec. The adjust the mixture for highest idle speed while trying to keep the idle speed down to spec.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts