Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my 1980 400e bobber project. Traded a washer and drier for the bike, and was just gonna turn it and get my money back. Well, finally get around to picking up the bike and it only has 2100 miles on it. Cool! Then 5 minutes later, we had the thing running. Holy Crap! Super cool. So at the point, the price doubled, ha ha! Then, after sleeping on it for a night, I decided to keep it and build it. So, here it is. At this point, I have been working on it since just this past Tuesday (8/31)...

Here it is on Monday, 8/30

And here it is Yesterday

After looking at how most people convert these things to rigid, I decided that it wasn't the way for me. Not a fan of the open stamped steel or the flat bar "shocks" so I did things a little different. Cut all the stamped parts off, welded in new mounts to the frame and used adjustable radius arms to tie it all together. Kinda cool caase the ride height is adjustable, and the heims kinda give a racey look to it. Here is a close up before I welded the cross bar in. And the bars are made from the original bars. Probably end up with a set of dirtbike bars, but I wanted to make something similar before I just ordered something without trying them first.

Plans for now are just to finish the chop, then ride it as is. I like that it's all original, cosmetically, just how it was pulled from where ever it sat. New tires for sure(white walls, want to run a 16 up front and run 130s front and rear if i can make it happen), then just ride it.

One last pic of me on the thing

Looking forward to hammering on you guys for insight :) I am a car guy(owned a vw/audi performance shop), never built a bike or really ridden anything beside dirt bikes when I was a kid, so I have a lot to learn. I have been burnt out on cars for a little while, but I am super motivated to get this thing done, which is a nice feeling to have again. Updates as I get them. Hope to have it riding in a couple of weeks at the most.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
That is one neat system you have devised there, look forward to your further postings.

·
Registered
108 Posts
+1 on the new hero line! Great trade man!

Welcome to the club! Like the what you've got going so far. I hear ya on the not feeling the rigid strut look, but I also want a lower rear end. Also I've got a few sets of mx bars kicking around, hit me up if you wanna see them.

Rock on!

-Hzlscm

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought I flipped that picture over yesterday...

Anyway... :)

Admittedly, if I didn't have access to the tools that I do, I probably would have just cut the thing right after the shock mounts and run some flat bar. I don't mind the flat bar so much as the way the open part of the the of the frame looks. But the lines of the bikes still look super good when done that way though. If you can email me some pics of the bars you have do it. [email protected]. They just need to be straight. Not too worried about much else. And sorry if this is full of typos, I'm on my phone.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I should clarify, I'm not a fan of the plain rigid struts. I want to lower my rear end, but am not sure if I want give up my suspension just yet. I like the originality of the way you did yours, using adjustable struts and the rear section of the frame.

I took a few shots of the bars, but had to pug my camera in so I'll email those to you this evening.

-Hzlscm

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahhhh... Okay. I read that if you use CB750 shocks you can get the rear 2 inche lower. Might look into that if you havent yet.

Np on the bars, just whenever you get a chance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Buttoned up the rear end today, and made the seat pan.

Hopefully I can find a bracket and some springs tomorrow, so this thing will be rolling...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
all electrical mounted under the tank...

Moving battery and making a new seat pan tomorrow.

Also, I got another rear wheel of of ebay that I will be using to make a new 16" front wheel with custom spokes from Buchanan. 130/90-16 front and rear, probably white walls. Maybe 150/80s if it will clear up front... it'll be close, but it might just make it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'd like to see more pics of what you did with the electrics. I see you changed back to shocks, why?
I have a 400a I'm bobbering and want to eliminate all the electrics but starter, headlight, tail/brake. what did you do.
thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thnaks Fellas!

New frame in the works. Will be a proper "brat style" bike soon.

I welded it up yesterday. Still need to do the shock mounts and the rear seat mount then it's ready for mock up.

Also, some subtle changes since the last shoot.

And I pulled the trigger on some 30mm Mikuni round slides. Should be here any day now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RATCOLLECTOR said:
I'd like to see more pics of what you did with the electrics. I see you changed back to shocks, why?
I have a 400a I'm bobbering and want to eliminate all the electrics but starter, headlight, tail/brake. what did you do.
thanks
It all started from trying to fit a fender. I had also been looking at the brat bikes a whole lot and they just looked like more what I wanted to build. It rides a little nicer. The shocks are pretty stiff as they are for a much heavier bike, but I wanted it stiff so I could run a tight seat/fender/tire setup.

All of the harness is under the tank. The recitifier is on the backbone just under the left air filter. The fuse box is under the seat for ease of access. I initially only had to extend 3 wires for the recitifier as it was under the tank at first, but with it mounted where it is, it's almost in the stock spot, and you probably wouldn't need to extend anything. I'm gonna strip the harness down to just the necessities when the new frame gets built up.

·
Registered
121 Posts
thanks for the tip, I've got the harness stripped down to the rec/rec, fuse, & ignition. mounted the fuses & rec/rec under seat. this project is something to do with my 10yr old son over the winter. I've been letting him make the call on looks. I wanted some 2 to 1 exhaust with pipes one of the member had here but he wanted turn outs like my chopper has. He also wants the struts made out of upper links like yours (I'm a complete copy cat). I want to fab some forwards (brake only, and go with jockey shift since is a auto) but we'll see he's not infavor of forwards, but does want me to put a fuel level tube on the side of the tank... booom

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have 80 into those links. I will sell them for 50 if you don't have any yet. They are set up to be 11 inches long. The swedge tubes are cheap, the money is in the heims.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, the tractor links are a cheaper option for sure. I went with heims from smiley's which were probably over kill when you consider that the links will be static. I just had it in my head that it was what I needed and they have a store on my way home from work, so...

30mm Mikuni VMs are on the bike now. Fired up on the first click. I got them from Dime City Cycles. Not the cheapest place I found for them, but those dudes are super cool and way willing to help out and give advice. Runs a tick rich, but pulls smooth pretty much everywhere.... way good news for just bolting them on and getting to ride.

Only pic I have of them so far...

The outlets of the carbs were a little smaller than the inlet boots on the engine, but a couple of o-rings took care of that. Everything else was gravy.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts