Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1980 CM200 Scrambler Build

Hi There, introducing myself and my new to me Twinny- Its only got 10k miles on her- runs like a champ! Was hoping to do some basic upgrades to scramble her out, adding a bit of safety along the way- Would love any tips, links and knowledge on a few specific things:

#1 Tires- I've been doing some poking around and am now even more confused on tire sizing and whats worse, availability- Starting with the rear tire, which is 3.5x16 on the factory wheel. I would like to stuff in there a bit more of a chunky dual sport tire but not finding too much info on size conversion and even worse, not much of a selection on a dual sport tire to begin with. Anyone out there got any experience with this? I do plan on removing the read fender and adding some more space in there for sure, so just the chain and frame would be considerations for rubbing on a wider tire right?

Additionally, this is a tube tire, so what considerations should i be making with that ?

Mod #1 is done, got some tracker bars, new grips and side mirrors to bring the dork factor down!

After that, upgrading brightness of the lighting is a high priority on these 7" headlamps- That's project #3.

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts
I believe your bike is a CM200T, not a CT200. I had two of them, but I sold them as it is hard to source 6 volt parts and they can be rather pricey. the 1981 Twinstar 200 had a 12 volt system. If you could source the electrical parts from a 1981 Twinstar 200, it would give you a greater selection of upgrade parts from which to choose, such as a halogen h4 headlight, turn signals, and a brighter taillight. That is nice looking little bike you have there. Enjoy!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you JT ! Great reading- Short answer, stay as close to oem/ stock size as possible... Theres not a ton of room to work with in there anyway - the existing tire measures at 3.75 with calipers, and there is maybe 3/8" inch between it and the forks. As i start to narrow that search, all i find is well under that, and a bit over that. Blerg!

Danno- thanks for the note- fat fingers today. Ill look into that!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I believe your bike is a CM200T, not a CT200.
Yeah, he had me for a minute there too - I had a CT200 long ago and you wouldn't want to bother with trying to make anything out of it (other than what it was), much less a scrambler :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Found some tires that I think will work- EDIT- the Bridgestone Trail Wing TW40- Its a bit wider than OEM, but with a few bends and shimmys, it will fit! the size is 120/90/16

got the tire today, mounted it up and it fits well minus the chain cover which is going away, and the drum brake arm bar which can be relocated a bit.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I believe your bike is a CM200T, not a CT200. I had two of them, but I sold them as it is hard to source 6 volt parts and they can be rather pricey. the 1981 Twinstar 200 had a 12 volt system. If you could source the electrical parts from a 1981 Twinstar 200, it would give you a greater selection of upgrade parts from which to choose, such as a halogen h4 headlight, turn signals, and a brighter taillight. That is nice looking little bike you have there. Enjoy!
I have a 1980 CM-200T and 6 volt parts are no problem. However, I changed headlight for 6 volt H4 bulb. New replacement headlight no problem sourcing, bolted right up. Plenty of 6 volt 35 watt H4 bulbs for sale. Rest of bulbs are no issue with plenty of new manufacture available. I replaced a bad ignition coil with current manufacture aftermarket EMCO coil. Works like a charm. Points & condenser do not care if 6 or 12 volts. Perhaps bad alternator coil? If I cannot buy NOS to replace a failed unit (if it ever fails), I will take to motor rewind shop for repair. So, what is issue with sourcing parts for this bike?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 1980 CM-200T and 6 volt parts are no problem. However, I changed headlight for 6 volt H4 bulb. New replacement headlight no problem sourcing, bolted right up. Plenty of 6 volt 35 watt H4 bulbs for sale. Rest of bulbs are no issue with plenty of new manufacture available. I replaced a bad ignition coil with current manufacture aftermarket EMCO coil. Works like a charm. Points & condenser do not care if 6 or 12 volts. Perhaps bad alternator coil? If I cannot buy NOS to replace a failed unit (if it ever fails), I will take to motor rewind shop for repair. So, what is issue with sourcing parts for this bike?
thanks Geezer! When you changed the headlight, do you have in depth details on what you did? the bulb is sealed, so was there a bulb housing that you used and the h4 inserted into the rear? or is there a a new bulb that runs h4?

Appreciate your post!

- GH

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Question on OIL- After a bit of searching, it seems that a 10-40 Castrol oil would be a good option for this bike- Not sure whats in it it now, but i figure ill just flush it and replace with what I got. Which is a "Part Synthetic" Catrol 10-40 Actevo oil.

Any other maintenance I should consider when I flush old oil? Is there a filter to know about ?

Got the new rear tire onto the rim last night.. boy that was fun! Lots of work eh- Looks great, but I decided to get a new tube since the old one was ...well... old.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Question on OIL- After a bit of searching, it seems that a 10-40 Castrol oil would be a good option for this bike- Not sure whats in it it now, but i figure ill just flush it and replace with what I got. Which is a "Part Synthetic" Catrol 10-40 Actevo oil.

Any other maintenance I should consider when I flush old oil? Is there a filter to know about ?

Got the new rear tire onto the rim last night.. boy that was fun! Lots of work eh- Looks great, but I decided to get a new tube since the old one was ...well... old.
Number 1.... That 4.75 width tire (120mm= 4.7244") is likely to rub both the chain and the torque-stay for the rear brake, but even if it doesn't, it IS the wrong sizing for the original 1.85" rim and thus actually may have a smaller road contact patch than the original 3.50" tire....A 1.85 rim is two width sizes too narrow for the manufacturers minimum of a 2.50 width...
Recommended width is actually 2.75", so THREE sizes too narrow......

Number 2...... IF you don't know if there even is an oil filter, I suggest you download the factory service manual and read it..... Good choice on oil though.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
You need to go to Chapparal motorcycle parts of San Bernardino California on the East side of Los Angeles.
Tire brands are Duro, Shinko , and Kenda. You might have have to order a 90/100x 16 to test for rear. Slip in tube.
Then the front is there also by trying : Continental twinduro TKC80 and install a tube. You will then need a CL 175
Honda exhaust system to mount on motorcycle with maybe some adjustments like welding. There are shops to help
weld and adjust : choose a good shop. Mudguards should be sufficient as they are : see CL 350 Honda !
As for the lights stock is good or get a Euro CM type head light with the bulb separate from reflector, and then mount
H4 bulb inside the unit: bright idea! Your bike looks like a cool Royal Enfield !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts