Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
23828713_10108938217811670_1086528882_o.jpg

This is Nebula; I began a project log in my introduction thread: http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/23-member-introductions/98681-nebula-1980-cm400t.html

The photograph above is where the bike stands at this point. I'm making my way toward a "Brat" style with some personal mods (a slightly less flat seat, because I'm reshaping my own, etc.).

My log, updated:

What I need to do:
Carb synch
Compression tests (it seems fine, just want to know)
New rear shocks
Install new carb jets/shims so I don't need to have a t-shirt mod on the pods ��
Install new spacer in rear wheel
New tires (possibly new rear wheel... subject of a later post/video)

What I want to do:
Reshape the seat
Leather grips
Rewire all the wiring under the seat
Buy/Install anti-grav battery
Paint the tank custom matte black nebula base
Chop rear fender
Blackout fenders
New exhaust tips

What I've done:
Gone through most of the checklist on the new-to-me thread
Replaced the battery
Cleaned the wiring/rewired some areas
Stripped the bike of fenders, heat shields, reflectors
Rebuilt the carbs, about 4 times
Replaced the handlebars with zero drag ones
Moved the lighting around to some temp positions until I save up and buy the ones I want
Wrapped the pipes
Oil change
Replace air filter
Got my M license
Registered/plated the bike
Bled and refilled the brakes
Degreased a metric ****-ton of old grease
Placed a new taillight and license plate
Found the source of a voltage leak (bad wiring)
Reworked the stock controls; they work like new
Got the carbs to stop leaking
Installed pods (I know. I've read the threads.)
Rode

·
Registered
342 Posts
Nice bike,waiting for more pics. What mufflers/silencers are you using???
I would not feel safe with that itty bitty tail light, but that's just me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're actually the stock muffler set-up for the CM400T! I'm not sure if it looks it, but that light on the back is pretty bright for a running light and the brake light is really sharp.

I'll get some photos going on the process up to this point, and then a before/after shot too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The first few things I did was go through and change the oil, check the fluids, and electrical. I took apart the carbs and rebuilt them about four times (with this kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017XSSF6C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I actually only filmed this on video so I don't have any photographs (mainly so I could retrace my steps later!)

My first "mod" was hacking off the turn signals, and buying L brackets from Home Depot to attach them to the front and rear:

IMG_0974.jpg IMG_0973.jpg

After that, I went for emgo drag handlebars.

IMG_1422.jpg

Which I got off of Amazon, here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M9MGY6G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, this ended up causing my controls to seize up. The coat of paint on the handlebars pushed the OD past "true", so I took a dremel to it and knocked it down to metal. They snap back like a charm:

IMG_2097.jpg

After that, I tore out the airbox and replaced it with pod filters. I haven't done the jetting yet, so I cut up some old t-shirts, clamped them to the pods and it's actually been working fairly decent.

IMG_1387.jpg IMG_1316.jpg IMG_1312.jpg IMG_1317-2.jpg

Mapping out that clean backend look, I moved the stock electronics tray up to under the seat after the airbox was gone. It worked out fairly decent, though I plan on getting a custom tray to hold everything once I have some time to rip it all down again.

IMG_1326-2.jpg

When getting all the lighting and wiring fixed up, I did manage to blow a few fuses here and there, but found out I could order them through Grainger, which is a hell of a lot closer than any Honda dealer (I mean, I live downtown, how's that possible?)

IMG_1394.jpg

I also have been mapping out what I need for the rear fender and seat mods I'm going to do:

IMG_1408.jpg IMG_1409.jpg IMG_1410.jpg

The fenders were also cut short. I wanted to remove them entirely, but Jim made the point that they'd need some kind of stabilizer if I did and I can't find a decent one for cheap, so I chopped the fenders. Fairly happy with the look, and will be more so when I paint them.

IMG_2099.jpg

I also wrapped the pipes, with Reteck tape, and for the most part, this is where Nebula's at now.

IMG_2102.jpg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right now, I'm also trying to determine the bike aesthetics. Chiefly:

• Do I want to black out the tires, mufflers, light bucket?
  • What paint scheme do I want?
  • What will the seat look like? (right now, it's just too big for the Brat style, so I need to slim it down, but the CM400T's don't have clean lines: something I quite like).

I've been drawing up and photoshopping some prospects with new grips (I want leather), and the other options:

IMG_1068.jpg cm400_mods.jpg
IMG_1070.jpg IMG_1069.jpg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm �� ... a challenge. I like it.

The tank will likely modeled/inspired after a photo of the Milky Way I took in Hawaii:

FDA4AB9C-8064-42C7-9CD7-EB70E2F1A22E.jpg

There’s certainly some greens/purples that I could pull out there. I’ll have a think on it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
On the subject of your seat I put the seat from a cb400 on my cm400 its a easy fit just slot the bolt holes in the mounting brackets. IMG_0680.jpg

Reactions: nebula

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That’s good to know! A lot less bulky. I think I may try to rework the one I have still, but if that ends up getting tanked, this is a good option.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did a bit of seat reshaping today. Pulled off the nails, chrome, and vinyl, then slowly started lopping pieces off. I'm quite happy with the shape it's taking so far. I may need to smooth some things over, but it's getting to the point where I'll start mapping out the leather template. Not sure if I'll modify my wife's sewing machine with leather parts or if I'll hand sew yet, but figured it'll be a fun winter project while the snow and ice are on the ground here.

IMG_1735.jpg
IMG_1742.jpg IMG_1763.jpg IMG_1776.jpg IMG_1774.jpg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Updating the list of items to take care of between now and spring (and I’m sure it’ll grow)

- Reupholstering the reshaped seat (first in canvas, then leather to make sure I like the shape. I’m still contemplating if I like the swoosh up or not)
- In the cold weather, shifting into first gear (at times) kinda kerplunks into gear, like it’s trying to find it’s spot to fall into. Wasn’t doing it noticeably when it was 50+ outside, but regularly now at 45 and below.
- Black out the wheels/chrome on handlebars
- Matte black/green the tank with spray pattern
- Matte green the mufflers
- Move battery/wiring
- Replace dash decal (it was missing on purchase)
- Tighten/clean/move wiring
- Re-shape rear fender and make it easy to attach/remove (it’s nice obvi for winter/rain, but prefer the look without it)
- Find a way to remove all the grime on the engine without spending billions on cans and cans of cleaners

48049622-A851-4168-B8E4-63D349B93396.jpg

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Cold weather clunk into gear is sort of normal due to the oil viscosity, even on 10-40W. Gets better once the engine has gotten really hot.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ugh. After a particularly cold ride this winter, something became awry on the right side carb and now it overflows; leaking like a sieve. I took the bottom off today, it seems that float has full range and isn't flooded, so my guess it's the needle. One of the sides were a bit sticky when I did the rebuild; no noticeable gunk, just seemed that the fit wasn't great.

I didn't have time today to unhook it all and redo, but I'm hoping we get some decent (read: warm enough) weather for me to be out there and work.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I'd found this pic a while back when I was considering the same mod, it looks similar to your plan.
CM400 shaved stock seat.jpg

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
It's your bike so do as it pleases you. That said I personally wouldn't do that to my bike either, I'm not really a fan of the blacked out look.
Too common and seems like a half arsed effort to making something look custom.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, I definitely can see that. My tastes basically align with anything not chrome. The less silver on the bike, the happier I’ll be. That said, the items I want to black out are mainly the wheels and bars. Mainly, in that way, I’ll be able to draw more attention to the engine/pipes, the tank and the seat (none of which will be blacked out). If I could justify some new spoked wheels, I’d go for those instead of the blacked out comstars for sure. I just need to prioritize the budget!

For the tank, it’ll be a black-ish, blue/purple with bright white spotting, and I’m thinking a light colored (possibly two-toned) leather seat with light leather grips on the bars. Maybe I’ll do a photo-shopped mock-up, now that the seat has been reshaped, see what y’all think.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts