Honda Twins banner
21 - 27 of 59 Posts
Discussion starter · #46 ·
Ok - thank you.

couple of things: I don’t have a blue washer (and no kickstart, which I’ve been meaning to mention). I do have a substantial washer and the tube. Nothing missing according to Honda manual exploded view for this bike.

I never did disassemble the spring seat etc on the “clutch center” (honda manual)

I never did remove the drive chain (honda manual)

I have reassembled half a dozen times in the order of manuals (clymer and Honda), and my clutch lifter rod still does not turn past 12 o’clock and there’s a hard-stop, no springy-ness.
You mention a ways back that “if gear selection parts are not fully “Home” or are out of place, problems fitting the clutch unit will be experienced”

going back in with fresh eyes in an hour or so and see what I can suss

Discussion starter · #47 ·
Ok I reassembled and lifted the back wheel and rolled the wheel forward a bit, moved the shift lever; clutch lever at handle now has tension (!). I can get neutral and a gear or two. Will add oil and give it a go - now that I have a front brake I should be able to safely try putting it in gear with clutch in. Will report back.

Discussion starter · #53 ·
Great pictures, thank you. Fun to see the gearbox shaft - I did not see my own. Everything else looks just like it does in the pictures. I got the springy tension I was looking for, and some free play. engine running, handle lever all the way in, I can shift from neutral to first without stall- so there‘s progress!
rear wheel does move, I can inch it forward with friction zone. Will try rear wheel suspended - and I’ll take photos of sprockets, etc.

a while back I spotted this: seems like a workaround for a questionable chain clip?

Attachments

Discussion starter · #59 ·
Okay, chain cleaned and put back on bike. Found neutral again and cleaned up the clutch switch and reinstalled. Yes, those tabs inside were a bugger but I managed to get in back in place and clutch switch works now.
turned on engine,let it idle for a bit and there’s a clicking/clunking now and again. What could that be? I have not heard it before when idling engine.
Also: I did test the voltage while revving engine and it goes into the 12’s, maybe 13. That’s good, right?

21 - 27 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.