Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a cafe racer and need a smaller battery that I can mount anywhere. The bike is only electric start so I don't know how big of a battery I'll need either. Not sure whether to get Li-ion or AGM.

Also, I'm assuming I'll need a new R/R to go with it. I've seen good things about Mosfet and Rick's. Not sure which is better for which.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just realized that MOSFET is not a company and it stands for something.. I'm a total noob but I'll still take the advice on which R/R will work

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I can't say which is better since I've only done the Mosfet type. The key is to limit the charging voltage which the stock unit limits at 15.5V which will destroy a Li-ion and damage a AGM. Check with Rick's about their units charge voltage cutoff.
One advantage of the Mosfet is that if it fails they are easily found in salvage yards in an emergency as opposed to waiting for shipping

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jim. I think I'm going to put a TruGel battery in with the Rick's R/R. Can you install a smaller battery or does it have to be the factory AH? I have the CM400T with an electric start but I won't using signals.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Turn signals play a very small part since they are a temporary circuit much like the brake light which only draws in use.
Honda doesn't list any specs on actual current draw for the starter
I don't know what size battery will do for your project. Might read thru some of the project logs where smaller batteries have been used and PM the owner about their results.
Ricks may have some suggestions also

1 - 5 of 5 Posts