Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I just finished a rebuild on my new to me 1980 CM400E. It won't rev and in 3rd I'm lucky to hit 25 lugging it a bit. The battery is dead so I had to bump start it. I'm getting a little smoke from the left side somewhere around the collector/left crankcase cover which I just put a fresh gasket on. Any thoughts?? My goal is to have it sorted for a ride this Friday.
Thanks!
Tim

·
Registered
111 Posts
Go through the basics- check the plugs - fouling?
Does fuel drain from both carbs if you open the drains a bit?
How old is the gas?
Timing set right?
Low battery can do some funky things, especially if the charging system is weak.

Those are some of the first things I would check.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just out of curiosity... would it run at all if I had unknowingly installed the cam 180° out? Like, the cam notch at 6 o'clock and the crank notch at 12 o'clock? It does seem to run now but I think the spark would be wrong for the stroke if I had done that and it wouldn't run at all, right?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Makes no difference on camshaft. Both plugs fire every revolution. As suggested above, check the basics. You can use a car battery for power as long as it is not in a running car.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Part of the checks would be to verify the cam timing. Then run thru the ignition diagnosis in the sticky found in the Electrical section. That'll just take a few minutes to verify all is good or needs work.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Got it running after sanding the contacts. Power still a bit low but definitely rideable. Compression low in left cylinder (120) and 140 in the right which just got re-ringed. Won't idle without a little throttle input to keep it going. Any further thoughts or diagnoses? Just trying to sort these last few things so I can RIDE!

Edit: planning to go through the various checks in the manual, just hoping maybe to streamline the process a tiny bit... Cheers!

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
135 is about as low in compression you can go and expect it to be rideable. 185 +/- 14 psi is spec.
Why did you only re-ring one cylinder?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Only did one because I only broke the rings on one side. Bike seems low on power. Taking it tomorrow to get the carbs looked at.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts