Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, this is my motorcycle I've been working on over the summer.

I got it for $800, and I've gotten it to be a daily rider right now. Here's what I've done.

-Replaced the wiring harness
-built missing switches and indicators into custom dash: kill switch, start switch, horn, indicator lights
-rejetted carbs, and cleaned them
-replaced airbox with pod filters
-replaced missing brake stay arm, bent actuator rod, and actuator arm
-built front brake switch... this one's just a temporary fix so I could get it registered. Same with tail lights.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also new ignition switch, LED flasher relay, removed rust from the inside of the fuel tank... what else... as soon as I can find a good right hand control or two that I can salvage together I'll put original hand controls and levers on.

Still to do:

FRONT BRAKES! Those hubs and shoes are hard to find.
Strip paint on tank: The paint isn't sealed so it peels as gas gets on it. I might strip it and leave it wire brushed and sealed like I saw

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
OK, I'm confused. Title says 400E, you mention brake shoes and the video has Comstar wheels.
Those bolts for the exhaust collars really need to be switched to studs. The steel bolts will gall the aluminum threads causing them to weaken and strip out over time. Honda used studs there to avoid that problem. The stud also bottoms out in the threads of the head and then the nut allows the collar to be tightened, bolts can bottom before the collar is tight enough.
There's a clear coat that is impervious to gas, brake fluid, etc. 2K Clear coat - SprayMax
Be sure to use it in a very well ventilated area and use a respirator also. Really nasty stuff for your lungs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts