Honda Twins banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did an intro post so I figured I would at least start a build thread although I have a pretty good headstart.
When I got the bike it was already chopped in the rear and had this old school seat on it.

I didn't know what I really wanted and that becomes evident as the build goes on, this bike still doesn't know what it wants to be! Here is the rendering I did on photoshop sans color choices

I started by tearing it down to the frame and engine, everything is surprisingly nice for the age.
Items I removed permanently: tank, seat, headlight, gauges, center stand, rear wheel, kill switch and starter, (airbox is a maybe at this point), stock foot pegs
Items I purchased: Rebel tank, Biltwell seat, 18" rear wheel, new ignition switch with gas cap matching keys, turndown exhaust tips with baffles, motion pro throttle, Kenda on/off road tires, GM coil and plug wires, CRF250 footpegs
Items still needed: headlight, air filter (pods or oem), carb rebuild kit, rear shocks, side plates, mini speedo, etc
Here is the most current picture, I'll update with smaller projects when I get the chance and get more in depth.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
You might want to check the triple/fork clearance of the tank at full lock, tank may need to move back a little bit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You might want to check the triple/fork clearance of the tank at full lock, tank may need to move back a little bit.
This was actually one of my worries and it clears way more than I anticipated. On my daily ride the throttle tube just brushes the tank at full lock so that was the first thing I checked when testing. There's so much clearance I'm thinking about hanging a mirror off of it.

I can't take any credit for the paint, I traded some video work for that and a few other pieces that are still in the works. It's actually got some pinstriping now but I don't have a picture of that yet.
Thank you for the links, I've made myself very familiar with both of those topics in the past few weeks, only recently have I been toying with the idea of the stock airbox.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To anyone who has ever done rear upper shock mounts, is the design from my rendering decent or is it better to have a shock eye mount similar to stock? I'm heavily debating removing the stock setup completely and changing up the look.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
To anyone who has ever done rear upper shock mounts, is the design from my rendering decent or is it better to have a shock eye mount similar to stock? I'm heavily debating removing the stock setup completely and changing up the look.
The shocks need to be in a straight line from the lower mounting point, it looks like the tops will move in using your design.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The shocks need to be in a straight line from the lower mounting point, it looks like the tops will move in using your design.
Thank you, that is based on a real build but I still had my concerns. Still not sure if I want to grind off perfectly aligned mounts or just make them look better.

·
Registered
624 Posts
...Still not sure if I want to grind off perfectly aligned mounts or just make them look better.
I'd vote for just cleaning up where the frame rails were cut off. I did something similar with my "82 CM450E bobber, welding in a plate to close things up and give a more finished look:
6_zpsorvx6iac.jpg
51packardtred.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd vote for just cleaning up where the frame rails were cut off. I did something similar with my "82 CM450E bobber, welding in a plate to close things up and give a more finished look:
View attachment 214633
View attachment 214641
Thanks for the picture, I could see myself doing something similar. The only difference is I think I will be cutting out the cross brace and adding one that suits my electronic and seat mounts better.

As far as updates I've been working on putting on CRF250 pegs to make it look a little more rugged. The most time consuming part was coming up with a plan that didn't mess with the structural integrity of the mount or the peg. On a dirt bike the mounts are open like what I've done to mine. If I had left them boxed I would have had to mill the pegs to a thickness I didn't deem safe for their design and in my mind at least this is the strongest I can make them without welding. They're still rough as this was part of fitting but I think they're going to come out just fine. If they feel flexy I will have a friend box them in while retaining the folding aspect of the bigger peg.

Also, a local tattoo artist wanted some test pieces to try his hand at pinstriping so I said he could do my tank and rear fender. Since that isn't fabbed and painted yet he took the tank first. Not bad for his third time!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just needs paint and we're good to go. I really like this look over the standard rubber rod.

My other small project was baffling the muffler tips, I'm thinking of putting glass packs on and it will need more back pressure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally got my tires mounted and took this thing off the stand for the first time since July. The seat feels good in the low position but I still need to adjust the front mount and figure out the rear. I'm not in love with the small exhaust but it will look good for the motorcycle show the painter is involved with this winter.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Just saw the picture of your pegs, I have a set of those laying around to do the exact same thing with for the road bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just saw the picture of your pegs, I have a set of those laying around to do the exact same thing with for the road bike.
I grew up at a motocross track so I really wanted to incorporate something from that life and it fit in with the scrambler/brat vibe. One thing to note is that the peg extends more forward which cuts into clearance with the shift linkage, nothing a few adjustments won't fix.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So tomorrow I'll be doing some fabrication in preparation for welding which I'd like to do all at once if I can help it. Now that the new 18" rear has a tire on it I can make a fender strut and get solid measurements for the mounts. I also plan to modify the seat mount to bring the front of the seat in line with the tank better and mess around with rubber mounts for the rear of the seat. I'll be cutting and shaping the shock mount brackets to make a more appealing look than how it came to me, cut off neatly with a hacksaw. My father is going to make me a simple jig to drill and tap the upper shock mounts so the shock is held on with a button head bolt and washer. The current threads are rusted to an unacceptable level for my liking and I prefer the look anyways so two birds... I still need to figure out how my brake light/blinkers are going to fit under the seat but I have some ideas. The forks also need to come back off to install the new fork seals and dust boots and then I need to decide if I want fork gaiters to achieve the look I want...

Besides that I'm purchasing a modern CBR500 front master cylinder (14mm piston) to match up with a dual piston front caliper and braided line. I'm also considering this plate mount I accidentally found on Ebay during my search, I envision mounting this to the upper shock mount or down on the chain guard mount:

I'll include some pictures tomorrow if I make any real progress, after waiting a month for parts I feel like I need to get some work done.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Didn't get a ton done today, had a little less time than I expected to. Got the fender strut done, I wanted it to be hidden by the shocks from a side profile. I think I may take the hoop out completely and make them two separate pieces. I also bent the seat mount to better fit the bike, and test fit the coil. I'm going to shorten the plug wire but I left it long since I didn't have the bike right in front of me when I put it all together. Easy fix.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts