Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I was following the manual to a T, but maybe some assumptions about grounding have gotten in the way.

Test light ran between positive battery terminal and the terminal for the points. Negative battery terminal grounded to frame.
Isn't the battery already grounded to the frame? Test light does light when poked onto any point on the frame so I should be good.

Test light also lights when touched to any metal part under the cover, not just the points terminal. It lights on the base plate, the breaker plate, and any point on the case itself. This may be correct, but then why would the manual specify to attach it to the points terminal?

Going further I turned the generator counter-clockwise to the F1 mark and expected the light to go out. Light stayed lit. Slowly turned it around and around, and at no point did the light go out.

Points are good with light drag at .014"

What am I missing? I am used to seeing points, rotor, and condenser under a distributor cap, but the manual does not show a condenser under the cover here. Mine, however, does have one.

Thanks once again, and again, and again,
Justin

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
The points will have positive at them when they break, so you want the test light attached to ground and when the points break, the light will come on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. That makes a lot more sense to me since this is what I have done with non-running cars for an initial start after dissection.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts