Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, I'm a new member here around the forums and not the most mechanically inclined, so please try to bear with me! I really do appreciate any help that you can offer.

So, a couple days ago I purchased a 1980 CM200 Twinstar as a starter bike to use around town and for my short commute. The bike has low (2600) miles because it was originally purchased by the previous owner in the late '80's with 900 miles, ridden to 2600, then garaged for 18 years until this summer. The gentleman put new tires, plugs, battery, oil, cleaned and rebuilt the carbs (and a couple other things I cant remember at the moment) this summer to use bike himself, then decided he would rather sell the bike because he's an elderly guy and wasn't comfortable riding it.

I purchased the bike, it started (with the electric starter) and ran just fine when it was tested. It also started and ran fine the couple times I used it around my parking lot since I've got it home (I don't have plates on the bike yet, so I haven't taken it out or ridden it much.)

Today I started it up, shifted into first to move it to clean, and the bike died. Now the electric starter doesn't turn the bike over and there's just a clicking sound from the battery when I press the starter button. All lights on the bike work just fine, and the bike will start/run/idle just fine when I kickstart it.

So my question is, why would my electric starter not be working?

-The lights work and the battery should be new, so I'm not inclined to think it's a battery issue
-Since the bike hasn't been ridden much since the battery was put in, maybe it just hasn't had the opportunity to charge back up?
-Maybe the charging system for the battery is bad?

I appreciate any help, and if there's any more info I can give you I'll do my best! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hi negsus,

Any pictures?

Clicking suggests a low battery and /or bad connections.

You have a multimeter and have checked charging system output?

An easy way is to start engine, leave at idle for say 4 minutes, put headlights on ( in the dark is easier ), ride bike up to a wall or similar, and gently rev engine in neutral.

Do the lights "grow brighter" ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey daydreamer,

I'll snap some pictures and add them here in the next hour or so.

I don't currently have a multimeter, but I was actually just getting ready to go grab one so I'll do that to check the battery and see whether or not it's getting more power when the bike's running. There's a lot of info and instructional videos out there for 12v systems, but not 6v from what I've found. I did come across this article that has some tables for reference on a 6v system, would those be about accurate?

Thanks for your help, I'll update with pictures and voltage readings soon!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hey Daydreamer,

So after grabbing a multimeter and checking the power from the battery here's what I've found:

-The battery is getting a solid 6.05v when the bike is off
-Went to start the bike to see what the voltage looked like with it running, and the starter still would not work
-Tried to kickstart the bike (worked yesterday), and it started to turn over on first kick, died, and now will not start at all (and the voltage reading with the ignition on drops to 1.8v).
-Now it also appears there is not power going to the rest of the bike; headlights wont come on (just a very, very, very dull warmth in the coil), blinkers/dash lights aren't working, no clicking when the electric starter button is pushed.
-I checked the main fuse, it's fine.
-From what I can tell, all wires are connected and the battery is properly grounded

Again, the bike ran just fine days ago when it was tested, and the first couple of times I started it after hauling it home on a trailer. All my troubles started yesterday evening and, though the electric starter wouldn't work, the bike would turn over and idle just fine when kickstarted. Today I can't get her running at all but the battery has plenty of juice. Maybe the solenoid?

Here are some pictures:
WP_20150827_10_07_27_Pro[1].jpg WP_20150827_10_08_05_Pro[1].jpg WP_20150827_10_08_12_Pro[1].jpg

Edit: I went to the local battery store and had them charge/test the battery ... They told me that it's bad, so looks like I'll be replacing that. Hopefully that's the extent of my problems

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out. Simple solution. Even new batteries can be bad. That's why the warranty on them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts