Honda Twins banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just started working on my bike again after a few years hiatus. I inherited my dad's Harley and I'm now just trying to get this bike running again.

In short and with the best way I can explain it, here is my problem

I can get both front running lights working. I got the right side blinkers working together. I cannot get the left side to blink together, in particular the right front. I swapped the rear blinker wires and was able to confirm the rear blinker light does in fact blink. For example, at that point I had the front right and rear left blinking together.

I am trying to put the head light, turn signals and turn signal brackets from a cx500 on the bike.
I tried both front turn signals from the cm400 and the cx500 and I get the same problem.

If this is any help. I had all the original lights on. And wire colors connected (orange to orange, orange and white to orange and white, same thing for light blue) and had the same problem. I'm drawing blank right now away from the bike but when trying different wire combinations I was able to get the bright turn signal to illuminate in the front left turn signal.
Apologize for any confusing parts.

What the heck am I missing?

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Probably a good ground for the T/S that isn't illuminating........ Green wires (or black with green tag) all connected?...

I'll move to correct section.....66

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, I was thrown for a loop because the turn signals have the two wires. O, OW, LB and LBW. I do not have the headlight bucket in. I can confirm that all four of those wires are in snug.

As I'm recalling now, do the brackets( each has a green wire connected) the original turn signals screw have anything to do with the problem. I currently just have them dangling but they are both very tight. My guess is no?

I am a novice and I have been looking at multiple wiring diagrams to get a better understanding.

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Those green wire provide the ground connection back to the battery......
What's "dangling"?... The green wires or the bracket?

My phone number is below.......

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The green wires are connected to the brackets, with the brackets currently dangling because I have the the turn signals out of the head light bucket.

I guess the inner nut the turn signal bolts into inside the head light.

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Without the turnsignal stem (threads) installed into those grounded nuts, the turn signals are not grounded persay....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll out the original turn signals on and test them again. It just makes no sense for one side to be operating and the other not with both of the turn signal stems not being grounded.

For some reason I am thinking I may have swapped a ground wire from somewhere else in the head bucket harness wiring. The dilemma of working around a two year old. Ugh

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Yes working with very young helpers like that can impede your progress, but get a few photos while they're small and still want to help... :)

I would agree you've got a bad ground somewhere. Also don't forget to take off your turn signal lenses and inspect their innards. Inside you'll find one Phillips head screw holding the socket in place, take the screw out and inspect for rust or corrosion which can cause a bad connection that'll act like a bad ground. It seems to me there is a pattern of issues like this centering around left rear turn signals that won't flash.

Be careful taking that screw out, small springy bits can easily get lost.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Which type of indicator mounting does it have? I remember some had a ground system almost identical to the early models with rubber mounts and wire crimped in. Try running a lead from battery ground direct to reflector (take lens off) Few years of vibration and it looked good but stopped working (not as bad as Yamaha where we had to change harness before selling anything for a few months as wires were crimped so tight they cut through connector) The orange/white is only on front, they are the running lights. You may have wrong bulbs fitted, rust in bulb holders or similar? CX and CM/CB parts should all be interchangeable for same model year (some connectors went from male to female at various times) Two things I just remembered. 2 yr olds love to 'me help' the other, the ground wire inside the indicator body actually on the bulb holder can break off, particularly if indicators have been dangling (in reach of a 2 yr old), my stepdaughters son is about 3-1/2 now, has destroyed a load of stuff so far) Good news is, as he gets older he can reach more stuff to break so it isn't all mine anymore :D Yes, that is someones CB360 carb and an 8mm combination wrench, took weeks longer than normal as he ran off with some pieces plus hid all my steel rule's, he said 'me need meja fings' (didn't break anything as he was fixing it :cool:)Great fun though even if SD is a crazy B**** when off her meds
Helping.....jpg

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Yes working with very young helpers like that can impede your progress, but get a few photos while they're small and still want to help... :)

I would agree you've got a bad ground somewhere. Also don't forget to take off your turn signal lenses and inspect their innards. Inside you'll find one Phillips head screw holding the socket in place, take the screw out and inspect for rust or corrosion which can cause a bad connection that'll act like a bad ground. It seems to me there is a pattern of issues like this centering around left rear turn signals that won't flash.

Be careful taking that screw out, small springy bits can easily get lost.
Should have read this one, forgot about the 'sproyng' part.and you already pointed out rusty sockets :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I get done work today I will take some pictures and retrace the wiring just a double check my work. however now that I think about it because I switched out the light turn signal with the CX500 and the cm400 would that not eliminate the bulb itself and its contact from being the problem?

also I remember correctly, if I switched out the orange and orange and white wires either with themselves or if I put the orange wire in a direct green ground wire I was able to trigger the turn signal bright light to come on. I'm not sure if that helps further the problem solving. But just an idea that may help

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
The last PROVES it is a grounding problem...... A few minute phone call might solve all......540-525-5199

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All right so just an update the bike is at my father-in-law's house so I wasn't able to get there today but I did have him on the phone and walked him through re-setting all the wires back to the original spots. I even put the original turn signals back on through the original nuts that are grounded. after doing all that we were able to get both sides to blink but the front left turn signal running light did not work. so after putting a new bulb in we are able to get the front and rear turn signals to blink at the same time with each other so thank you all very much for helping.

I guess if I want to put the CX500 turn signal brackets and lights on then I will need to ground the turn signal somehow. does anyone have the original pictures to the thread where the guy went from two wires to three?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nevermind I can see the photos I guess I had to go full site mode instead of mobile view mode to see the pictures.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Many people already know my views on cell phones, one of the worst things ever invented. 'They' cover up the fact it can cause brain cancer over time (I know one guy 36 yrs old who isn't going to survive and girl living opposite me is only 27 but is going to survive, had brin surgery 2 yrs ago) Apple puts warning in the small print somewhere, you only use cell 3~5 minutes a week. No one 'mainstream' has put figures together for brain cancer incidence increase in 'young' people but expect an epidemic over the next 10 yrs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts