Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I AM going to try to give you all the info I can to help with this.
bought bike almost 1 month ago have put almost 900miles on it
bought it off original owner did basic maintenance on it but that's all. bike had 27plus k on it when I got it.
I replaced the front fork seals and dust covers when I got the bike I checked the wear on the pads but he had just put new pads on two years ago so not much wear. so I have had the front end off the bike. I regreased everything with synthetic bearing grease and put it all back together. then I put 900 miles on it now the noise has only been happening the last week maybe week and a half. it started out very quite I thought it was the brake pad rubbing. when I ride I would check the disk and it was cold at the time I did not notice it was keeping time with rpm.
it has gotten progressively louder. last night I took the front end apart again to check nothing looked wrong. I can spin the wheel while it's on the center stand with no noise. spins free no sound of rubbing at all.

I think it's the front bearings but, I have never had a set go so I don't know. the sound is similar to a buddy's truck ball joints that went. I can say it sound like the front tire is going flat and rubbing on the inside of the fender.
I guess it could be the speedo sending unit. I personally don't think so

The noise starts at about 2000rpm and gets louder to the point I can not hear the engine only the noise. it stops around 1500rpm when I am slowing down.

Hopefully I have not forgotten anything

thanks in advance for help.
I did go ahead and order two new front bearings from bike bandit last night.

cheers Mortikan

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
You correlated the noise with engine rpm. Does it not correspond with road speed? In other words, does it come and go as you shift gears? Will it go away if you let off the throttle and disengage the clutch?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no it is constant does not do anything but get loader the faster I am going. I can coast while I am down shifting and it is there I can hear it as I slow it's there like I said till about 1500rpm then it just stops.
I had it up to 65 and could not stand the noise(also for safety I took the back roads home).

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Sounds to me like it has to be in either the bearings or the speedometer drive. I guess I'd take a look at the speedometer drive if the bearings feel smooth, haven't had one apart thought so don't know beyond looking for something obvious.
May want to just wait for one of the resident experts to drop in.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am dumbfounded by this I have actually never heard of anyone having issues with bearings before. I see people sell them so they must go. I would think my speedo would act funny if the drive unit is going. but of that I am not sure. it was working fine no jumping skipping.
I guess i wait

thanks for the reply

Kyle

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
J-T said:
Sounds to me like it has to be in either the bearings or the speedometer drive. I guess I'd take a look at the speedometer drive if the bearings feel smooth, haven't had one apart thought so don't know beyond looking for something obvious.
May want to just wait for one of the resident experts to drop in.
You could be on to something there with the speedo drive. Mortikan, did you have a look at this when you had the wheel off? Worth a look to make sure its well greased.

Also, have you checked to make sure the tire is not rubbing anything?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I checked the tire is not rubbing. the inside of the gear is perfectly clean the grease was spotless. like new from the factory. I greased it to make sure it was fine. wish I had a spacer to take the drive off and see if that's the issue.

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
You can remove the driven gear and its thrust washer making the drive unit essentially a spacer, But I'd lean towards bad bearings....

·
Registered
608 Posts
did you gease/oil the drive cables? both speedo and tach cable will howl if running dry

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
COOL I will try that tonight and run it up and down the street.

I think bearing as well. will keep this updated

mortikan

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SO as some of you suspected it is my head for the speedo. I replaced perfectly good bearings but they were not to expensive and better safe than sorry. so I am running now without my drive gear. and no speedo and no mileage counter that's the part I miss. but hoepfully I can find one used. I just can't stomach paying almost 90 for a head unit from bike bandit.

Anybody have a head unit they are looking to sell?

thanks for the help

Mortikan

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the headsup on the site. It's actually 15 bucks cheaper than bike bandit.

really appreciate it.

Kyle

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Kyle... I'm sure I have one for you... $20....See your part wanted post... Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts