Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newly aquired old retired 1980 CB 400 t. I got the bike for $5.00.

The project plan? Cafe Racer. (I have started taking pictures but I will post when I can show that I've actually done something to change it from its current state)?

My experience with this sort of thing? none.

I am trying to focus on the basics like: can I get it to run?

I am trying not to look at the cosmetics first but one looming question is what wire wheels can I get that will fit? It has the comstar mags right now? I am trying to keep it pure and simple but I want wire wheels? Any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Wire wheels can tend to get expensive to get them looking nice. Getting wheels relaced can be pricy too. You often get wheels that have awful looking spokes but nice rims. At least the Comstars can be painted/polished to suit your own desires.

I don't know about any specific swap info relevant to your bike. :?:

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Welcome cb! Looking forward to see the progress. I too wanted to take my 350 the cafe route, but decided to look for a basket case bike and start there.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
CB/CL 350 or CB/CL 360 wheels are almost an exact bolt-in..... Except for the disc brakes up front.... If you are running drums, you will be fine ... (minor spacing differences, easily fixed).... Of course, the wire wheels that came on some cheaper variants of that bike will fit perfectly...Steve

·
Registered
122 Posts
78 and 79 CB 400TI (type 1) had wire wheels and a drum brake on the front. I don't think that 80 came in both type 1 and type 2 I'm not sure what all would need to be changed.

Here's a couple of 400Ts for insperation the top one is a 78 type 1 and the bottom is an 81
[attachment=1:tgs5rpxi]bikepics-1196763-800.jpg[/attachment:tgs5rpxi][attachment=0:tgs5rpxi]bikepics-976738-800.jpg[/attachment:tgs5rpxi]

here is the link to my 78 type 2
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=791

Welcome to the board

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Wow..they really do look great with spoked wheels! I wonder whatever happened to cresentson...

·
Registered
122 Posts
cbornotcb said:
My experience with this sort of thing? none.

I am trying to focus on the basics like: can I get it to run?

This is a good place to start
Evaluating Old Honda Twins - Six Easy Steps
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=925

I have a scanned Clymer manual (they're not the best but better than nothing)
It is a very large file 82MB If you like I can try and send you a zip file

·
Registered
9 Posts
[quote="qcrider"
Here's a couple of 400Ts for insperation......
[attachment=1:qh0cjhwr]bikepics-1196763-800.jpg[/attachment:qh0cjhwr]
[/quote]

hmmmm.......

that's inspiring, alright.

:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts