Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm moving my build log over here from the intro thread I posted over there. The first post might be a bit long, but I'll attempt to keep follow up posts a bit shorter.

Small The Red Mud Dauber on arrival.jpg

"I've got an old Motorcycle out in the shed if you want it." Said a friend of mine who is trying to downsize. "Of course!" I replied as nonchallantly as I could.
Out in the shed I found a '79 Honda CM185 Twin packed with mud-dauber nests everywhere.

When I got her home she had saddle-boxes bolted on, a fully gorilla taped seat, stone chipped tank, hazy windshield, a few odd parts (side panels, etc.) in the saddlebags and the aforementioned mud-dauber wasp nests. She's been sitting there since 2013.

A trailer ride later and I started tearing into it in the garage. One by one I threw nearly a dozen old mud-dauber nests out in the driveway. The deepest was all the way at the air intake. A few particles had worked their way into the badly frozen carburetor. I'm a little concerned that some has been sucked into the engine after I foolishly gave it a few kickstarts while still in the shed.

The red tank will be stripped and repainted a deep hunter green, and the shredded black seat replaced with green leather (if I can find it).
Thus the name: The Green Mud Dauber.
I took the checklist from longdistancerider and merged my own into it, so I'll try to take note of what I do on each new post.

What have I done?
  • Got the Haynes Manual
  • Got the FSM from the forums here
  • Picked up some stripper, Primer, Paint, polishing compound, and rubbing compound
  • Grabbed a jug of Marvel Mystery Oil.
  • Polished up the fenders just a bit for a test
  • removed the tank
  • Removed the seat
  • cleaned out way too many wasp nests
  • removed the exhaust
  • Pulled side panels off and boxed them up
  • Pulled the carburetor to clean and found it was a disaster - ordered a new one which is now sitting here in a box.
  • Ordered some gas line and clamps, they have arrived.
  • Stuck a camera down into the spark plug ports and the intake manifold. I'm happy to report that there is no grit discernible in there.

Video walk around:

Happy news:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Sounds good! I admire your drive and enthusiasm to make progress.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Today got busier than I anticipated, but I was still able to make a bit of progress today.

What Have I Done?
  • found one more mud dauber nest nestled in the footpeg bracket. It's gone now.
  • Found Installed battery tender quick plug to my battery... and discovered that my battery was bad. Ok. put that on the shopping list.
  • Did an oil change today after a quick trip to Dollar General for some 10W-40. Had a bit of a problem getting into the case, but an impact driver turned the screws and opened her up just fine. On the other hand, there was no way I could get the pump off to clean the filter, so I cheated.
  • Started cleaning up the horrendously rusted battery bracket, my daughters boyfriend volunteered to take it to a friend of his to have it repaired and painted. (Not bad.)
  • Pulled the new carb out of the box and installed it... after a ton of finagling with the throttle cable, and machining down an old fitting to mesh with the new throttle cap. Adjusted it all out and the throttle "looks" like it might be perfect.
  • But I also discovered the handlebar throttle is cracking underneath. *sigh* put that on the shopping list.
  • Pulled the full exhaust and activated the shop vac by the exhaust ports while I scraped a bunch of carbon off.
  • Pulled the baffles out of the exhaust and stuck them in a bucket of dawn dish soap to clean them off. They've been soaking for awhile so I'm going to go scrub and spray them off so they can dry.
  • Realized I forgot to take any pictures of the process.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
You have been busy.
That switch ass'y is specific to the 78/79 CM185T although you can probably modify a different one to work if you can find one.
For pictures I keep a old digital camera in the garage, bought it at a pawn shop cheap. Then as needed I upload the pictures to the computer to save.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's been a long week with too many irons in the fire, and another long one ahead of me. But I had a few hours today and Momma wants her car back in the garage. As a result I opted to just get it running and focus on clearing space in the other part of the garage for more custom work over the winter. After working today I'm happy to report that I've got a thunder machine in the garage now. She sounds good, but has a backfire / timing issue that I've got to adjust as soon as I get an air filter on it to make sure that's all it is.
All of that said, here's the progress...

What Have I Done?
  • Bought a new battery, filled her with acid and charged her up.
  • Put a new tail for my battery tender on her so I can just leave it on.
  • My daughter's boyfriend hasn't brought my battery bracket back yet, so I zip tied the battery to the frame. (don't judge me.)
  • Since I'm an idiot I started hooking the battery on backwards and noticed a hot wire - quickly put it to rights and got terrified.
  • Once everything was hooked up PROPERLY to the battery I touched the button to get her to crank. Success!
  • Unfortunately my compression tester doesn't have a small enough adapter for this puny spark plug hole, so I opted for the shadetree trick of pressing my finger over the port - there's enough compression to firmly push my thumb off. I'll get the proper adapter and check it later to be precise.
  • I've got spark. Yes!
  • Poured a little more than a tablespoon of gas into the carb bowl, and sprayed some starter fluid down the windpipe and after some finagling (and remembering to turn on the kill switch...) I got her to fire up.
  • Reassembled the exhaust headers and fired her up again. OOOH that sounds niiiiice.
  • Reassembled the baffles and cones and put the rest of the exhaust together. Fired her up again. Ooooh, that sounds nice too.
  • Stuck the camera down into my gas tank, hmm. Not that much rust in there, just a few questionable pockets. Stuck a chain down into my gas tank and rattled the rust patches inside the tank loose.
  • Blew out the tank with my air hose
  • Poured a bit of marvel mystery oil into the tank and coated it all around.
  • Pulled and cleaned the petcock (decent shape!)
  • Reassembled the tank to the body, hooked up the fuel lines and poured in some gasoline (1/2 tank or so.)
  • Fired her up and away she ran for awhile. I've got an occasional misfire/backfire so we've got a timing issue to figure out.
  • Checked the headlights (works).
  • Checked the turn signals (turn on but don't blink... low battery after so much crank time?)
  • Reconnected the air box and connected the intake port to the carburetor.
  • Checked the brakelights, works as advertised.
  • Checked the horn.... nuthin but a tiny tiny click. Once again I wonder if the cranking the battery to start her at first made the battery too low. I put the battery back on the tender for tonight.
  • Checked and adjusted clutch free play - it was off. Now it's not.
  • Took note that the brake liners have plenty of room for the short term ( they are priority though).

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Yup, low battery will make your horn do next to nothing and turn signals not flash, no worries.

Are you planning to replace brake pads and shoes before riding? Old shoes can delaminate, jam up and end the ride catastrophicly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, low battery will make your horn do next to nothing and turn signals not flash, no worries.

Are you planning to replace brake pads and shoes before riding? Old shoes can delaminate, jam up and end the ride catastrophicly.
YES!
Thanks for pointing that out. I won't go past the driveway without those, I was thinking the same thing.

That said, any suggestions on brake pads for this thing? I need to order them and have never swapped motorcycle brakes.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Honda supplies the fronts still https://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/hon/50bfe4baf87002341cac0d12/front-brake-panel and the rears https://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/hon/50bfe4bbf87002341cac0d14/rear-brake-panel Quite common part used by several models so aftermarket like EBC is a choice as well.
Front brakes fit these:
Assemblies where 06450-KC2-680 is used

Rear brakes fit these:
Assemblies where 06430-362-000 is used

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, you're amazing. I've got over a dozen other parts in my partsfish shopping cart now. What a great site. I've almost got all the little bits I've been taking note of on my shopping list!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know what is the max RPM on this? The FSM says 15 BHP at 9500 RPM .... but what is redline? (I'm asking because I want to find a 6v tach for this bike.)

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Good question. Max power is typically hit well before max rpm. Since the FSM say 9500 for max power I'd hazard a guess that 10,500 rpm would be max rpm, maybe 10K even. Looked at specs for the 200, almost identical engine, but that say max power of 14.9 at 8500 rpm so nothing to work from there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Waiting.
Waiting for parts to arrive.
Waiting for time to work on the bike.
Waiting for a spare minute to at least sit on it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well. At least the garage didn't burn down.
I replaced the throttle pipe, fixed the cable up, filled her with gas, tried to start for quite a while and can't get anything. Spark? Check. Fuel? Yup. Compression...

I went inside to check some things out, and after about 1/2 an hour came out and noticed that I had left the key on... and smoke was curling up from the frame. I grabbed hold of the wire bundle and burned my thumb, disconnected the battery and sat back frustrated.

Gotta find a short in the harness now.

Now to test compression with the kickstarter. (EDIT 150PSI on both cylinders = good. Should be 170 plus or minus 28.)

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Still, seems good enough for it to start and run. On the other hand, you may have toasted the coil when you left the key on (unless the kill switch was off)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"Toasted the coil..." Ouch.

So, is that normal or just a result of a short? In other words, would leaving the key on normally cause a fried coil? (see? I am new to this.)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Turns out the connections by the fuse holder were bad on both wires. The fuse holder melted into goop, but the fuse never blew. I cut the wires, replaced the connectors, and put in a new 20 Amp blade type fuse holder.
I got my battery bracket cleaned, primed, painted and remounted it all up.

Then I took her for a spin.

She fired right up (well, almost). I had to spend a bit of time tuning the new carb first. Then I took her up and down the street. Still needs a bit of "pretty work" but it's plenty functional.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I only pointed that out because it can happen - leaving power to the coil at a moment when the points are closed can, and often does, overheat the coil and ruin it on the way to running the battery dead. I guess you got lucky, good for you

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sigh. Went out to start it today, and nothing. Battery is almost dead - so I put the trickle charger on since I don't have a fast charger for 6V.

I'm not entirely certain if the spark is good or weak, but it seems like it looks weak to me. Could be the battery, but it won't start so let me take a look at the points.

They look completely worn out. Connection looks flat on one side and slanted/hashed on the other sorta like this: ]/ And there's just not enough material to file.

So I need new points. (Thanks for the prior link to parts fish!)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts