Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of some new tires. My front is original to the bike it seems, date code 4279 I believe, and the rear, I have no idea (date code 3020). Anyways I am going to get a new set of tires. On my last 1980 cb650c, I put kenda K657 challengers on it and they seemed like a good tire for an excellent price. Im pretty sure the stock sizes are 3.50S18 front and 4.60S16 rear, and as I couldnt find a set that made those tires, I was going to switch to the modern sizing of 100/90-18 front and 120/90-16 rear, which there are more choices to get a matching set. I figured I would get the Challengers again, as they are cheap and I liked them. The cb650c I had had comstar wheels on them but I do not remember how they installed the tire (tube/tubeless). My question is, should I go tubed or tubeless on my 1979 CM400T with the stock rims. I think the challengers are tubeless, and I assume any tubeless tire can take a tube? I would like to get some tires ordered today either though my shop, or online, as next week is supposed to be pretty nice around here, and I forgot to check to see what is currently on my bike.

Thanks for the help

Edit: Looking at the Challengers, it states it as a tube/tubeless tire. I guess I can order them anyways and get a tube put in if need be

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
If you want to run tubes in tubeless tires, you can.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
bmdalessio,
The determining factor will be if your rims say "tubeless" stamped into them;the rims on a tubeless application will have a different profile for the bead seating area compared to a tube type application.Could you show a pic of the inside of your rims w/o the tire ?
They should say 'tubeless tires' stamped into them though... The owners manual will certainly say it either way.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
My 1979 CM400t2 is running tubes in the tubeless comstar rims.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bmdalessio,
The determining factor will be if your rims say "tubeless" stamped into them;the rims on a tubeless application will have a different profile for the bead seating area compared to a tube type application.Could you show a pic of the inside of your rims w/o the tire ?
They should say 'tubeless tires' stamped into them though... The owners manual will certainly say it either way.
I dont think that I have the original manual for it, though I may be able to find one online somewhere. Ill probably do whatever the original tires say on them, as they seem to still be holding air just fine. Unfortunately I do not have any pictures of the rims w/o the tires, let alone pictures of the rims w/ tires. I have the set of challengers ordered and it looks like with those tires I can do either. They are the stock comstars that are on the bike. Ill end up looking tonight as the what the current tires on there say.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It seems that Travelvice had posted a copy of his 1979 CM400T manual on here in 2011. Looking though that, mainly the tire section, it doesnt seem to explicitly state whether the tires or tube or tubeless. It does have a comment about checking of the tires for cuts or punctures and states "See your authorized Honda Dealer for replacement of damaged tires or punctured inner tubes". It also has another warning of "Do not attemp to patch a damaged tire or inner tube". I remember seeing somewhere that said all comstar rims were tubeless, and I dont know if Honda just assumed that people would stick tubes on them anyways, but it looks like ill be tubeing them either way from what im seeing. Nice extra bit of info was that the manual is under the seat, like bolted onto the underside of the seat. I assumed it would be in the tray that is on the fender under the seat, so I may still have mine! Got to go look!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
If you look at the rim near the center, I think, it is stamped into the aluminum "tubeless". Not out near mine at the moment, but seems to be in my memory seeing it there. Oh, and in the black paint, it IS hard to see sometimes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ill take a look when I get home. It just seems a bit odd to me that it wouldnt be stated one way or the other in the manual, and with the warnings it seems to hint at being tubed. But I could believe that that is just to fully cover their bases if someone sticks a tube in it. Not entirely sure what Ill end up doing if the originals are tubeless and the rim says tubeless. I guess Ill save a few bucks and go tubeless if thats the case.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
To the best of my knowledge all of the Comstar wheels are tubeless. I'm running tubeless and almost always have been. Wheels had tubes when I bought it but the rims are stamped tubeless.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To the best of my knowledge all of the Comstar wheels are tubeless. I'm running tubeless and almost always have been. Wheels had tubes when I bought it but the rims are stamped tubeless.
Im pretty sure I have the original tires on them, at the very least the front tire. Theres only 8700 miles on the clock, and the front tire is date stamped for 1979. The rear is a bit more odd stamped 3020. Talking to a friend at work who used to work for (aircraft I believe) a tire manufacturer, he said they would stamp their tires with the day of the year and then the last digit of the year. He assumes this tire is day 302 of 1980. Both are tubed, and I havent found where on the rim it is stamped tubeless yet, but I havent looked too closely. Do you agree with dtsmjr8dan that the stamp should be near the center? When I think about it, I believe my 1980 cb650c that had comstars were tubeless. I remember having an issue with the stem after putting new tires on, the rear would go flat, and it turned out the stem was leaking. I watched them replace the stem and they just popped it out and put in a new one which would not be possible with tubes, as they are one piece, right?

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Motorcycle tire date codes since 200 designate the week and year of production with the last four digits. This would indicate your rear tire was built in 2020, not likely unless we've entered the twilight zone.

Before 2000 only the last three digits were used indicating your tire was built in the second week of a year ending in zero, likely either 1980 or 1990. Either way it's long overdue for replacement.

Some light reading:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agreed, new tires are on the way. They should be here tomorrow! Amazon is truly a magical company.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
When you do remove the old tires,take a couple pics of the inside bead area of the rims Fr. & Rr. and post them up here on this thread so we can see. :)

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
OK , I went out and took a pic of the stamped 'tubeless tire applicable' on the right side rib of my front rim. Here you go.

Tubeless.JPG

If your rim has that stamped on it , then it should be fine running tubeless tires without tubes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When you do remove the old tires,take a couple pics of the inside bead area of the rims Fr. & Rr. and post them up here on this thread so we can see. :)
Ill try, it all depends on if the shop will let me go back there to take a picture, or if they will bring out the rims from the back. Unfortunately Ill probably be taking the rims to the shop by my apartment (honda dealer) and not my work (which has a more friendly mom and pop shop). I feel they would be less likely to help a kid out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK , I went out and took a pic of the stamped 'tubeless tire applicable' on the right side rib of my front rim. Here you go.

If your rim has that stamped on it , then it should be fine running tubeless tires without tubes.
Awesome, thank you. Ill give it a look after work today

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
I think they 'feel/ride' better if you run tubeless rims w/ tubeless tires,you don't have to have the weight of that tube inside spinning around or binding inside the tire. imo

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I believe my comstars to be tube only tires, I have finally checked my rims and found no information of them being tubeless, no stamp, nothing. There was a stamp of the rim size and that is all. I have some pictures I'll post when I'm not on my phone

1 - 20 of 23 Posts