Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 1979 cm400t with lots of wiring problems but the engine would start right up with the kickstart and would idle fine. But when I was transporting the bike in a trailer she fell over, some gas leaked out but No other visible damage, once home with the bike i fixed the wiring but now it wont start, either with the starter or kickstart. I pulled the plugs out and found out im not getting sparks on either one. Does anybody know what could have been damaged in the fall to cause it? I also redid all the wiring to the lights and starter, the kill switch is not on, any help with this would be great
Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
There's a black wire with a white stripe that comes out of the CDI box. It's below the gas tank, ahead of the engine. Disconnect that wire at the bullet connector. If your ignition system is undamaged it should now have spark and run. You have to ground that wire to shut it off. The ignition on these bikes is separate from the rest of the electrical system and it will run just fine even without a battery. The ignition switch and kill switch shut the bike off by grounding out the ignition system rather than by removing power from it.

I'm just guessing that you don't have a factory service manual, PM sent.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Find the area that you fixed and un-fix it, for a start.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wired the lights and the starter, but I tried going back to disconnecting things to the way it was when it ran, I'm thinking the fall damaged something and it's not so much the wiring I did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts