Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey hey!

I recently replace my OEM carb with a cheap aftermarket Chinese carb. BIG MISTAKE! Now my bike runs like ****, especially at Honda specs.

Of course now, I can't find an OEM carb for my bike worth my money. Most are in crap shape.

Would a CM200 carb work on my 185? There seems to be plenty of those OEM carbs on the web but not mine.

Any advice would be great. If you have one for sale, please get in touch.

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm curious what makes them in crap shape. Restoring a carb is generally quite easy as long as you aren't afraid to get aggressive and parts availability helps out too. but there's ways around that if you get creative.

Seriously bad carbs I've given a couple hour soak in rust converter (phosphoric acid solution, rust mort I use frequently) this cleans the bodies, bowl and brass very well but isn't quite strong enough to cause any pitting or sealing issues as long as your not leaving it in there for a week. For less caked on grime CLR can work and has the same active chemical in a lower strength. don't use muriatic acid that will pit the metal very fast.

the white powdery gunk dried gas can leave behind that's as hard as cement melts away with citric acid you can buy at the supermarket in powder form in the canning or baking section.

I've heard ford carb cleaner from a dealership will dissolve about anything as well but never tired it.

toothpaste mixed with baking soda can even be used to lap a leaking needle valve like you would a valve in the engines head.

if you still have the original you would have otherwise abandoned it might be worth an experiment to restore it instead. I just did all the above to my CB200 carbs and took some pics along the way and can post some if you'd like.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey hey! I found and OEM carb. Of course its used but I disassembled and cleaned it before putting it back together. The needle jet was aftermarket w/ a single notch. The original should have 5. I put another needle from a different Keihin carb in it and after every notch, it's still not running right. Come to find out, the diameter, length, and taper all drastically effect 1/4 to 3/4 throttle. I was able to find a NOS needle jet online. It'll be here Saturday and I'm hoping this fixes it b/c everything else is at factory settings. What do you think?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts