Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not very good at this. Here's my latest example and a question:

I am (trying) to time my 1979 CM185 Twinstar. No matter what I do I can't get the points to open (and the light to go off) on F1, but I can get it on F2.

I have recently taken the head off (among a bunch of other things) and replaced valves, pistons, rings, gaskets. When I was putting the camchain back on and getting the marks lined up and timed I did not realize there was a T1 and a T2. The manual said there would be, but for whatever reason I couldn't/didn't see them (I guess the angle I was working the bike) and just thought "huh, must have been switched out with some other part at some point...move along..."

So now as I have gained a bit of knowledge (this is my first motorcycle, never even really ridden one, and clearly my first time working a bike at all) I am thinking that I must have timed the cam to T2 and not T1 like I was supposed to.

Does this make sense? Would setting the cam timing to T2 make it impossible to set the ignition timing to F1? Do I have to take the engine apart a third time and retime the cam? I have been trying to start the bike to no avail, but would just kicking the bike (a lot) and a few attempts at push starting cause any irreversible damage with the cam timed to T2? Did I ruin the bike or is it just a lot more work?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Do you have a manual? anyway thats how you learn sometimes the hard way. Keep your head up and don't give up. I have a honda sl 175 project in the works and i know some of your frustrations. I had to tare my motor down three times. Fortunatally i did'nt have motor in bike yet. In fact i just put motor in frame today. I really don't know about the cm 185 i can't beleive it still has the point and condenser system. Are you sure you had the cam in right position? Mine only has one T mark. Have you replaced the condenser? It has alot to do with providing spark at plug. Also try turning flywheel or crank 360 degrees counterclock wise and try your light process again

·
Administrator
12,942 Posts
Having the same, issue. Only one side is running.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
Then you should start your own thread to get some answers.
But since you're new here, you need to take a look at this link and check your Conversations before doing anything else

1 - 4 of 4 Posts