Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I don't know what to do. I bought a 1978 Twinstar at the end of summer here and when I bought it I knew that the signals didn't work. I was dumb, and didn't check the brake light, which also didn't work. So after some time spent on the bike here's where I'm at with it:

- Turn signals will turn on, but not flash (new flasher [have tried multiple new ones], new bulbs, all from the Honda dealer)
- Taillight dims when either brake is pressed (new bulb)
- Headlight is on hi-beam when the switch is on lo-beam, and when you flip the switch to hi-beam it dims the headlight
- All of this is with the engine off, haven't tried it with the engine running
- Battery is new, holds a charge, and has been hooked up to a tender just in case

Other than that it's a sweet little bike, it runs well and it's fun to ride. I just wish I could get the electrical sorted out so that I could get a ride or two in before winter hits without having to hand signal everything.

Me and a buddy have been working on it, but neither of us have much experience with auto/motorcycle mechanics/electrical work. So any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I do not have your bike so this is generic.
Charge the battery, put a meter on it and note the voltage, turn the key on and see if the voltage drops. If it drops below 10 or 11 volts the battery is bad.
Unless it is an electronic flasher, the original replacement flasher needs to see a certain amount of amps to work so the bulbs need to be correct, make sure on the bottom there is only one contact and not two, dealers make mistakes too.
Clean and check all connections and the sockets for the bulb along with grounds.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Are the bulbs and flasher 6V ? Or is this one of the 12 volt conversions someone has done?
Do you have the FSM that includes the wiring diagrams?
The flasher is Mitsuba FR2112, Honda part number 38310-428-671 which is still available. You'll find it in the Air Cleaner fiche

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everything is 6V, and I have the clymer manual with wiring diagram. The flasher I have does not look like the one you said, the dealer gave me one that is like a black box, but the parts guy did ask what bike it was for before searching for it. I can't check that one's part number at the moment.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
PM sent for the Honda FSM's, there's 2 to download. Those have accurate information.
Check the part number on your sales receipt/invoice. The fiche shows the flasher as a box, not the typical can.
The headlight has 3 wires: White = low beam Blue = hi beam Green = ground If the ground isn't connected then the headlight may work oddly or not at all

1 - 6 of 6 Posts