Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, title tells it. Previous owner allowed the battery to completely die, kick started it and rode it that way for an unknown length of time. Result, every light in the house is burned out, horn no longer working and there is a serious misfire under load (when riding) with a new AGM battery. Question is....Condenser? Points? Coil? All three? I replaced the plugs and rebuilt the carburetor (the right way). Plugs foul pretty quick and are covered in carbon as though the engine is getting WAY too much fuel, but idle circuit is dialed in correctly, slide needle is doing its job. Bike will start and idle beautifully. Blip the throttle, and it accelerates great, but as soon as you put it in gear and attempt to take off, it falls on its face, spits, sputters, coughs and you have to fight it to keep it running until you blast the throttle, then it takes off like a Banshee. So....What say the GuRu's?? I'm assuming electrical from the battery issue, but the carboned up plugs have me a little sidelined. I should add...the bike is in amazing cosmetic shape with just under 3,000 original miles, so repairing this bike is a must!

IMG_2883.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I need to add...the previous owner (amateurish at best), pulled the left side cover to replace the gasket and may have disrupted the electrical. Also, the bike is charging correctly while idling and at acceleration, but I haven't checked the charge status under load.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
This sounds more ignition related than fuel, symptoms are very similar. I'd go through the ignition system and verify that each piece is good and correct. When in doubt replace it. Do you have the FSM?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love the challenge of acronyms longdistance....but in this case, FSM escapes me. If you're talking about a Shop Manual, I just purchased one and should have it by Monday. Otherwise...I'm not savoy enough or versed enough on this forum to recognize what FSM stands for. I also ordered new points and condenser. When I purchased the bike (last Saturday), I purchased it knowing it's issues. I managed to regain spark on both cylinders. 155psi compression on both cylinders. The points do appear to have questionable surfaces. The coil is firing obviously. Is there a "weak link" beyond the lights that can be damaged due to the over voltage from the dead battery? When I say dead, I mean showing absolutely no volts. Thanks for taking the time rider! Zip~

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Close guess then! So yes....I should have the FSM Monday to start troubleshooting. But I'm suspecting points. Anyone care to chime in with their opinions? Zip~

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Received!! Thanks SO much Long Distance! Discovered bad output continuity on the coil and all the diodes in the Rectifier were fried. Parts ordered and I will advise once installed!! One little things ot trace down once the good parts are installed. Parking light and gauge back light doesn't illuminate with the headlight, but when in the "park" (safety) position, rear parking light and gauge back light does illuminate. We'll see what that is after the rest of the electronics are sorted out. Again, thank you VERY much for the PDF! It allowed me to troubleshoot before receiving the hard copy manual! You're a man among men! Zip~

IMG_2908.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ordered a service manual which I'm waiting for but as of now I'm stumped on why mine doesn't charge. I hate to think it's the stator. I measured 1.5,1.5,& 1 ohm on it. I have no AC output from those wires while running. Could something cause the stator to not work(or prevent it)?
Matt

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts