Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm working on this bike for a buddy, and I need a little help.

It came to me with carb issues and had a cheap round slide 27mm with modified cable choke that was all gummed up and partially stripped out in parts. I told him we could get an identical carb for about $30, and he asked if we could get a better one. I've always been a fan of Mikuni carbs, and picked up a new Mikuni VM-24 (28mm) that I thought would be easy enough to adapt, and it was.

However, after I got the carb mounted, I realized that I have less that 30mm (closer to 24mm) between the frame and the carb inlet.

Does anyone have any ideas/sources for either some sort of angled intake tube to angle the carb enough to get a pod filter on it, or some sort of filter relocation option?

I found this one below, a build by Classic Moto. It has the filter relocated to the left side. I've written them in hopes they can either sell me this setup or provide a source.

I thought there might be an option out there somewhere in the pitbike / gokart world for an angles intake pipe of sorts too.

Any ideas / advice / sources are appreciated.

Thank you,

-David

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
The stock Keihin had a flange on its output side which helped to keep it further away from the frame.

Apart from a custom welded intake manifold I'm out of ideas.

·
Registered
254 Posts
can this piece be adjusted to become a 45 degree fitting?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
With a 1" 45* NOM copper elbow you could be in good shape. 30mm OD, 1.5mm wall will take you down to 27mm ID.
Clamp one end in your adaptor flange and use a chunk of heater hose from the elbow to carb....or better yet a few wraps of silicone tape.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts