Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For sale is my 1978 CB400TII. I believe there is an issue with the cam chain tensioner. I had it out around town two summers ago, and the chain rattle from the engine starting acting up. Last summer, I tried to troubleshoot, but couldn't fix the problem. I'm a renter and won't have any garage or workspace for awhile, and I also want to get an NC700, but only have space for one motorcycle. Rather than let it sit, I'd prefer it go to someone else, either to fix or for parts.

16,500 miles, registered, clean title, $600 OBO. Minneapolis/St Paul (MN) area.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/mcy/d/saint-paul-1978-honda-cb400-hawk/6854667209.html

Known Issues:
- I think the cam chain does not hold tension. I tried the automatic adjustment, which eliminated the chain rattle, but after idling, the noise returned. I tried manually adjusting the chain tensioner, making sure it isn't stuck, and also readjusting the valves; idled nicely for ~15 seconds until the loose chain clatter started, and then ~15 sec later the RPMs dropped and the engine cut. Tried the manually adjustment again, but after the last time it idled down and died I couldn't get it to fire up again, so I boxed it up and admitted defeat.
- Electric starter (possibly)
- Rear tire and tube are bad
- Non-stock handlebars, mufflers from a PO, I replaced the mirrors
- Has been dropped, and I'm not sure what the engine compression is at, probably isn't great
- It was lowered by a PO which altered the rear suspension, but it fits me really well (I'm 5'7")

New/Rebuilt Parts:
- Rebuilt forks, carbs, front caliper
- New chain and sprockets, carb boots, cables, SS brake line, master cylinder, windshield
- You can check over the work I did do (good or bad) and find more photos in a project thread here

IMG_20161022_172326.jpg

IMG_20161022_162145634_HDR.jpg IMG_20161113_145026999_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180909_111530445_HDR.jpg IMG_20180909_111540129_HDR.jpg IMG_20180909_111544601_HDR.jpg IMG_20180909_111614086_HDR.jpg IMG_20180909_111651198_HDR.jpg IMG_20180909_111804309_HDR.jpg IMG_20180909_111913919_HDR.jpg IMG_20180909_111831134_HDR.jpg IMG_20180909_111904670_HDR.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Your chain noise could be from the balancer chain, have you adjusted that?

Cam chain is not the cause of the idle/dying issue.

Just some thoughts if you have time to play with it while waiting for it to sell. Interest may be light until the weather warms a bit:mad:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I haven't considered that! If I had a shop space, I'd try digging into it, but I moved for work and had to downsize and my roommate isn't keen on donating any garage space ;) Fortunately, I do have room to store it until this summer.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Are the original mounts for the shocks there? If they are I'd put the shocks back in place. You can see the engineer on that modification was NFG, it's working against itself, bending the shock. The issues you have with the bike in general won't bother most mechanically inclined, but frame modifications scare many, like me, away.

I would put them back in place if possible, if not then take the mention of it and the picture with the bending shock out of your ad. You can tell prospective buyers of the necessary repair when they contact you. That'll be two cents please.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
No idea about the original mounts, I think it was the third PO that made the alteration? I included the information intentionally, that way no one is surprised if they take the time to drive out to see it. I'd rather deal with a stranger who knows what they're getting into than one that's upset. I've got enough horrible customer service memories already, and those were people that didn't know where I lived.

Based on some of the emails I received so far, though, no one is reading the ad, anyway. Like, no, it isn't running, no, X isn't stock, no, I won't sell it for $300. I shouldn't be surprised, because Craigslist. I've had less weird interactions dating online than with the responses to this ad :(

Coming soon: EBay links and a part-out list to save myself the trouble :rolleyes: haha

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'd take a few minutes to see if the shocks can be put back to original. I don't live near you but I have a good 450 engine and some interesting parts for a 78 era cb so I have been looking for a titled, unhacked frame. You get $500 from me, I get a $200 frame and sell of the other $300 of decent parts. I didn't want to shell out $500 and you didn't want to take it, nobody wins, perfect deal.

Fewer faults, more admirers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts